Water Pump Impellor

May 4, 2018
Hunter Legend 40.5 Milwaukee Yacht Club
Bought a 1993 Hunter Legend 40.5 two seasons ago. I was wondering about the frequency for checking/replacing the water pump impellor. The previous owner had two spares on board. Is this something that can be done in the water?

Thanks for any advice.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It can definitely be done in the water. Close the seacock first for good measure. I think it’s good practice to check at least yearly. Looks like you’re in a northern climate, so I’d recommend checking it when you winterize. Depending on engine hours every couple years I’d pull it out after winterizing and put a fresh one in at springtime. You can keep a couple old ones as spares. I’ve had impellers last 5+ seasons and also fail after less than 2.

• Helpful

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Bought a 1993 Hunter Legend 40.5 two seasons ago. I was wondering about the frequency for checking/replacing the water pump impellor. The previous owner had two spares on board. Is this something that can be done in the water?

Thanks for any advice.
Check the manual. I recall 400 hours. I replace mine about every three years which is usually less.

• Helpful
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I change my engine raw water impeller every 250 hours, but have never had an impeller failure where vanes were broken. OTOH, my generator has had many impeller failures so I change it every 175 hours or so. I do check the water output flow and if it seems low, I check the impeller.

• Helpful
May 4, 2018
It can definitely be done in the water. Close the seacock first for good measure. I think it’s good practice to check at least yearly. Looks like you’re in a northern climate, so I’d recommend checking it when you winterize. Depending on engine hours every couple years I’d pull it out after winterizing and put a fresh one in at springtime. You can keep a couple old ones as spares. I’ve had impellers last 5+ seasons and also fail after less than 2.
I don't see a seacock for the engine water flow on the drawings or on the boat.

• Wow
May 4, 2018
Check the manual. I recall 400 hours. I replace mine about every three years which is usually less.
Not sure when it was last changed. Only about 1100 hours on the engine.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It’d be pretty unusual (and dangerous) to not have a seacock on a water intake like that. Trace the hose backwards from the pump and I bet it goes to a strainer and onward to a through hull with a valve. In the unlikely case that there’s no seacock you can still probably check the impeller in the water. If needed just pull the intake hose off the pump and tie the end of it up above the waterline, which it might even already be. But if there is not seacock be careful with the hose, as its failure below the waterline will let in water without any way of stopping it. Maybe have a tapered wooden bung nearby if you’re particularly paranoid.

It’s best practice (though maybe not universal) to close all below waterline seacocks when leaving the boat unattended. Failed hoses are one of the more common ways boats sink in their slip.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I would highly reccomend you locate it and all the thru-hulls on the boat. You never know when a hose may fail that you'll need to close the thru-hull. You should also clean your intake screen at least yearly on winterization and know where to locate in case of a clog and reduces water flow.

I would also suggest replacing or at least inpsecting the impeller. Age is also a factor for the rubber to dry out and become brittle. Cost of a new one is much less than consequences of it failing.

May 19, 2013
hunter 34 Pasadena, MD
The thru hull, shut off and filter are in the center locker under the mattress in the aft cabin. The shut off should be closed every time you leave the boat for a period if time. This is also where my fuel filter is. (Legend 40.5 1995). When I bought my boat the impeller was shredded and melted into the water pump requiring a thorough clearing of all cooling lines including the oil cooler. I did this by using a shop vac and sucking out all scraps of rubber after disconnecting all points I could. The melted impeller I had to cut out with a knife in small chunks being careful to avoid damaging the pump body. My initial thought was to remove the pump but that appeared to involve lifting the engine off its mounts with questionable results when trying to line things back up. Eric

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Suggestion….,
Whenever you close your engine intake through hull, take your engine key, and tape it to the through hull handle.