Water pump failure

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Looks like I need a new pump. These pics are of a Sherwood with only 99 hrs on the engine. The engine was new 2011 but the PO never used it. Could I have messed up when I replaced the impeller?
What's a good source for new Oberdorf? (sp?)

Attachments

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Sherwood's are good pumps. Looks like either a gasket failure on the front cover or a shaft seal. About the only places on the pump itself to leak. Otherwise it's hose connections...what can you see when it's running?

JoeD

Aug 31, 2005
Columbia 34 MKII Smith Point,VA
Moyer Marine has Oberdofer pumps in stock. They have fast service. Got mine the next day.

All Brass pump, they also have the quick change plates in stock with the thumb screws for easy impeller change.

Sep 23, 2009
Sherwood's are good pumps. Looks like either a gasket failure on the front cover or a shaft seal. About the only places on the pump itself to leak. Otherwise it's hose connections...what can you see when it's running?
I didn't notice the rust till winterizing the engine. As the rust is around the body by the holes, would it be a seal failure? I did change the impeller in the spring and may not have had the cover tight enough.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
From the rusty tracks, looks like a seal failure. Might have been temporary, if a piece of trash got into it.. If it does not leak when running right now, it may have been a piece of trash that cleared or something that happened if the engine was run, even for a short time, with the water intake valve closed or if the strainer or water intake thru-hull was temporarily plugged.. Observe it when running.. if it id drooling or dripping, seal is shot.. if no leak, you are lucky. A machine shop can easily change the seal if you take the pump to them.. A gear-head friend could be enticed to do that at a low cost of a couple of beers (after the work).. ;~)

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
There is also a hose that looks a little green at the end of it. Also the alternator looks a little crusty along with some rust on the lower (crank?) pulley. Wonder if it was dripping from the hose and being slung by the belt? I would also replace the hose clamp with more expensive ones....need to run it and see....

Sep 23, 2009
Good points. The alt pulley is rust free, it just looks that way from all the belt dust on it-another issue to fix. The belt is tight but the alt pulley is not parallel with the other two pulleys.