Water pressure pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

I just installed a new pressure pump for the fresh water system, and find it "cycles" every 5 sec. or so. Don't see any leaks. Is this normal or do I maybe have an air leak?

E

Ed Schenck

Pumps OK?

Although it cycles, which is NOT normal, does it pump water satisfactorily? Mine will cycle like that if it has air in the lines. But then it just spurts water. Once the air is out it will sit all day with pressure and never cycle. Having said that I do not leave the pump switch on all day. Only during meal time, bed time, and when needed.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

A few possibilities

Air in the plumbing that hasn't all been bled out yet...if the water level in the tank is low, rocking/heeling and sloshing can drop the level below the top of the tank discharge, which can cause the pump to cycle when it loses prime. Or, unless you used hose clamps, there could be an air leak on the inlet side of the pump... Or, a defective diaphragm in the pump. Unlike Ed, I find it better to turn the pump on when I come aboard and leave it on till I leave. It doesn't draw any power except when water is running, and making it prime every time a faucet is turned on is just adds extra wear and tear on the pump. An accumulator reduces the wear, but it's still a PITA to have to leave the sink or the head to turn on the breaker with soapy hands, which will always be the case.

B

Brian Peyton

Variable speed pumps

The pulsing of our pump drove me a little nuts too. After attempting several fixes. I considered an accumulator, but went with the new variable speed pump. It is GREAT! Lots of water, and no NOISE. Usually you can't even hear the pump. It was one of the easiest things I have done. The original pump had the same type water line connectors. Jabsco and Sureflo both make these pumps. I intend to use my original pump to set up a washdown system.

W

Wolfram Milz

Check the outside fresh water hook-up

I had a similar problem on my 410 (1999).I checked everywhere for leaks and could not find one inside the boat. Finally I checked my fresh water hook-up outside the boat on the stern. Sure enough a tiny leak hardly visible, but enough to had the pump cycle every 5 to 10 minutes. Just tighening the cap did the trick. If you have a fresh water hook-up, check there for a leak. Goodd luck.

A

Arthur Boas

Some ideas

Turn off the switch for about 10 minutes, Then try a tap. Is there lots of pressure? if so, you probably don't have a leak. Most pumps have a check valve in the output to maintain system pressure when the pump is off. Without this, the pump can bleed backwards, and the system will lose pressure. You might look into this. Art Boas

R

Ron

Agree with Brian

I agree with Brian. I got tired of the constant on and off and the need for a accumulator tank. I installed a FloJet Variable speed pump and things have never been better. Great pressure, no noise, and no worries. I highly recommend a variable speed pump. I got the FloJet from CampingWorld.com fOR $100.00 less than marine stores.

B

Bill

Thanks

Thanks for all your ideas. The pump works fine when its on, when I turn it off, there is little or no residual water. I think that the factory threaded compression fittings must be failing and allowing air in.

Status
Not open for further replies.