Water Leakage

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey Everyone,

Good morning! Seeing as it has been a while since I've been active here on SBO, it'll be interesting to see if there are any new members getting involved in this splendid little community! Also, upon the subject of boat "things", there are some issues I've come across with my own, and would like to see what some of you have to say about it.

Now, I've been sailing for most of my 20 years on this Earth (since I was 4), and never seen water leaking in from the corner where the deck meets the topside. I've not had the time to really dig in and take a look, but I'm afraid the hull-deck joint is either rotting away, or needs to be resealed. The leakage isn't massive. Only a very small streak of water runs down the inside of the cabin wall when the boat is heeled over in either direction (one leak on port side beneath one of the windows, I made sure it wasn't the window; one leak on the starboard side aft the settee). If anyone has any idea what the issue could be, it'd be great to hear them!

God Bless,
S.S.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome back Simon..
The ugly secret about water leaks, it is always - or at the least most of the time - coming from somewhere above the point you can see it.
So start by looking above the point you see the leak. Like do you have a cabin top with screws that penetrate the deck. If so you may have a leak at one of the screw points. Water being the vicious being it is will find it's way beneath the fiberglass and along the deck till it finds a second hole and spring forth to frustrate you. You mop it up, but there is more in a pocket along the hidden path. You go sailing and the water spills forth, again. It must be from the sailing. So you consider the deck joint. While possible, ht deck joint is not among the "Usual Suspects" that is unless they have evidence of being damaged.

Windows, hand holds, fixtures attached to the deck or cabin tops are the "Usual Suspects".

Nov 1, 2017
@jssailem ,

Thank you so much for the information! I'll be sure to look in those places you recommended. Hopefully, it turns out to be something minor.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Take a look at your stanchion bases. The bases can bend up and break the seal.
On my C30, I flattened the bases and rebed with butyl tape. No leaks since.

Nov 1, 2017
I flattened the bases and rebed with butyl tape. No leaks since.
@Kingjim91 ,

That's a great idea! Even if that isn't the leading cause of the leaks, that's a great preventative maintenance project. I'll be sure to get that done as well!