Water Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABM

Jul 1, 2004
- - Florida
Has anyone experienced taking on water between the cabin and the hull while healing? On a recent sail, my 2004 Catalina 22 took in a significant amount of water when a strong gust of air suddenly put the rails in the water. The leak appears to have entered the cabin somewhere in the area between the teak strip and the shelf.Everything on the shelf was soaked, cushions were wet, and water pooled in the storage bin below.A friend sitting in the cabin at the time saw water flowing from top to bottom along the cabin wall. Having difficulty convincing the Catalina people of a possible leak. They feel it may have come from the bilge. Any help would be appreciated.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
should be easy to check

Hello, Seems like if you spray the area with a hose you should quickly find the leak. If you took on that much water, a hose would wet the inside too. Good luck!

Jun 4, 2004
- - Atlanta-Lake Lanier
Hull - Deck joint

Since this is a new boat, it may be the deck to hull joint is not fully sealed. I would pressure the dealer to take a hard look. Also take a look under the rub rail. I know of a Hunter that had multiple holes drilled under the rail that were not sealed. This was in the stern of the boat where the rub rail nearly goes to water level and when it was launched it nearly sunk.

Jun 6, 2004
- - lake constance / germany
same problem...

I experienced the same problem: brand new boat (2003) - various leaks. I basicly resealed everything on the boat, but still have a problem in the bow area. It seems to be a quality issue at catalinayachts... I found quite a lot of items with extremely poor workmanship. Pls feel free to contact me via email (tomkonerding@aol.com) brgds, Thomas

Jun 8, 2004
- - Lake Travis
Anchor Well

Thought I had the same problem last week. Discovered my anchor well drain was clogged and when heeled, the water drained along the hull - cabin top.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Air Vents

ABM: I don't know how the newer C22's are configured, but my 1975 hull takes on water thru the air vents along the gunnels back by the stern, if it heals too far (like a knock down). Maybe yours is similar. Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.