Water intrusion into rudder

Mar 3, 2015
C&C 27 Port Hadlock
I have a 1982 C&C 27 with some rudder seawater intrusion, discovered after recent purchase and haulout to repaint the bottom. Please offer recommendations as to prevent corrosion, or halt further corrosion of the internal steel supports before rudder failure.

Obviously, I need to identify the sources of the intrusion, which I think one is where the rudder post enters the rudder, and seal them. However, the salt water inside will only continue to cause corrosion.

I have a theory to halt further corrosion:

Step 1: drill a small hole [1/4"] in the lowest part of the rudder, and 2 holes [several inches apart] in the top of the rudder. Allow water to drain from the rudder until it stops completely.

Step 2: Then seal [epoxy] the bottom hole.

Step 3: Then slowly poor [into 1 of the top holes, while the other top hole allows air to escape] some liquid** that halts corrosion but does not harm the rudder core. This process may take days or weeks as the liquid** disperses throughout the corp and coats the steel structure. **Please offer recommendations of such a liquid that would halt corrosion yet not harm the rudder core or FBG: engine coolant? engine oil? etc?

Step 4: when the liquid begins oozing out of the air hole, and it is believed that the core has been fully saturated, then seal both holes with epoxy.

Step 5: Epoxy barrier coat on rudder.

Thank you for your thoughts. Ed

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I think the product you are looking for is commonly known as 'magic dust'.

The only dependable way to cure rust in a rudder is to open it up for inspection and repair. Short of doing that, you are only guessing if or how badly the internal webbing is rusted.

Some rudders don't have internal grids - what kind do you have?

Mar 3, 2015
C&C 27 Port Hadlock
It is the standard rudder of a
C&C 27, 1982 model \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

iT IS A 1982 C&C 27 MARK III, WITH STANDARD RUDDER.