Water Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mate

I have seen several 26's, my own 26S included, and each has had some water inside the cab or lazarette. Does anyone have a solution or idea as to where this H2O is coming from and how to prevent it? One Mac 26 was awash inside with about 2 ft. of water sloshing around, and it was in a parking lot!

B

Bob Cassel

MacGregors leak more in the driveway than on water

Four main points of entry for "storm" water. Each chainrail, the stem post and the rear stay post. All of them are poorly sealed by the factory and need to be sealed at least every other year with silicone sealant or maybe 3M 4200. You can also count on an amount of condensation that accumulates if you are in places where the temp changes significantly during the day/night. They say an average person in a boat will create about 3 gallons of condensation in a day's time. If you're in and out of the boat or working on it in cool or cold weather you will see this as well.

M

Mark A.

Seeps through the rub rail

I was getting a fair amount of seepage through the rub rail. I ran a beed of clear silicon on the top edge and it solved thr problem.

R

Rick Tenan

Rub rail likely culprit.

I was bothered by water in the bilge (under the saloon benches) and tried everything to get rid of it. I finally removed the stantions, stern and pulpit rails, and cleats from the deck and sealed them with marine silicone. It didn't work. What finally did work was to run a bead of silicone around the top and bottom of the rub rail, mating the rail to the hull. After this work, I haven't had a drop of water inside the boat. I used white on top and black under the rubber rail. If I was to do it again, I would use clear on top. I think it would blend better. I hope this helps....Rick, s/v DevOcean.

C

Curtiss Grant

Water from WHERE??

I finally found my leak around the shroud wire connectors to the hull. I used clear silicone to build up between between the connector plates and the cabin forcing the rain water to drain off. I did applied some silicone last spring but appearily did not apply sufficiently. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.