Water in the hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gabrielle

I have recently purchased a used 1986 Capri 14.2. And capsized it for the first time. We unfortunately had the hatch to the storage area under the bow open and the entire boat and hull filled with water, and after righting had to be towed to shore because it was too low in the water to sail. Granted I will keep the front hatch closed in the future, but upon inspecting the aft chamber I noticed that it was continuous with the area under the cockpit which is how everything filled with water. This area under the seats serves as no storage or anything, so should I seal off this area leaving only a drain for the aft chamber, or will concentrating on getting a good seal on the hatch be sufficient? I have noticed the newer Capri's have a very small aft compartment that is totaly sealed off from the rest of the boat. Any opinions would be appreciated Sincerely Gabrielle Falk

E

Erik

Hatch seal

I would work on maintaining a good seal on the hatch and keeping it closed unless you're actually storing or retrieving something from storage. Closing up areas inside a hull can trap unwanted moisture there.

G

Greg

I believe that the newer models have a storage compartment, about the size of a kitchen trash can, installed in the forward hatch. This still allows for a bit of storage while more or less sealing the hull from total flooding. I think it can be retrofitted--try Catalina for the parts, or you could make it yourself if need be. Good luck! It's a fun boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.