Water in the bilge

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
I’ve been chasing down the cause of water in my bilge for quite a while. I would dry it out, even shop vac it dry, then within a week or so there would be a few inches of water again. I went through checking all of the through hull fittings, fresh water tank hoses, cockpit drains, you get the point. One thing that never really occurred to me was the head sink drain as it’s above the water line. I was under the sink doing something and felt water, hmmm. Turns out fitting for the drain was loose and every time a wave would come by some sea water would get in. Tightened it up and now the bilge is bone dry. This is just an FYI if someone else is having the same problem.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Good for you. My bilge is chronically wet. There's no sump for the two ice boxes or the shower. Can't seem to figure out how to plumb a drain from the shower to a sump. She's a 1981 O'Day 34.

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
We have the same boat! Mine is set up the same as yours. I just don’t put ice in the ice box and the previous owner changed the faucet in the head so there’s no shower. Problem solved :). I think you can put like a sump box just aft of the mast and have the shower drain into that with a pump.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I replaced ALL of my above the waterline plastic/nylon (whatever) through hulls 2 years ago. They were 38+ years old, constantly exposed to UV, and getting brittle. Several of them had cracked as I was polishing the hull. I replaced the 1½" and 5/8" (head sink drain) through hulls with stainless steel through hulls (shiny!). I replaced the 1/2" through hulls (propane lockers & shower sump) with new Acetal Plastic fittings.

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
I might be doing that this off season. I’ll have to check them all out once the boat goes on the hard.