Water in Bilge.

May 31, 2020
Catalina 1990 1/2 Catalina 34, Shoal Draft San Pedro
Hi, I'm the new proud owner of a a 1990 Catalina 34 with a shoal keel and lately I've been finding about a 1/2 inch of water per day in my bilge. At first I thought it was a leak in my fresh water tanks so I drained them. Then I have closed all valves connecting tank to pump, sinks, showers, and thru-hulls and still, an un-ordinary amount of water appears in my bilge. All thru-hulls and areas around remain to appear dry. Any ideas? Please help. Thank you!

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
First thought is the stuffing box. You didn't mention that.

Second would be rain through deck penetrations.

Third could be refer condensation.

May 31, 2020
First thought is the stuffing box. You didn't mention that.

Second would be rain through deck penetrations.

Third could be refer condensation.
Thanks for getting back to me. Stuffing box dry. No rain, or rinsing lately since I've dried the bilge.
Refer condensation interesting. How much water would that produce? I'm getting about 1/2" per day for the last 3 days. Each time I pump, sponge and dry, only to find water again, the next day.

May 31, 2020
Thanks for getting back to me. Stuffing box dry. No rain, or rinsing lately since I've dried the bilge.
Refer condensation interesting. How much water would that produce? I'm getting about 1/2" per day for the last 3 days. Each time I pump, sponge and dry, only to find water again, the next day.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Pump, sponge and dry and then make a chalk line about two inches above the water line. Next time you have water look for the missing chalk to start chasing sources.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would suspect that your boat may be holding in excess of 10 gallons of water trapped in the hull stringers below the sole. This water comes from rain leaks, washdowns, sea spray, water spills, wet bathing suits, etc. This is common in most older boats. This water usually releases gradually into the bilge depending on the amount of boat motion. You may dry some amount today, go sailing and tomorrow you may have a similar amount. It is usually "last in, first out". As some of the water remains trapped for a length of time it will foul and stink. The more you may try to dry the bilge the closer you may get to releasing this fouled water and it's smell. I have learned to live with it as long as it doesn't smell and have for years but others go through great lengths to dry up their bilges with a lot of work and varying degrees of success.

May 31, 2020
I would suspect that your boat may be holding in excess of 10 gallons of water trapped in the hull stringers below the sole. This water comes from rain leaks, washdowns, sea spray, water spills, wet bathing suits, etc. This is common in most older boats. This water usually releases gradually into the bilge depending on the amount of boat motion. You may dry some amount today, go sailing and tomorrow you may have a similar amount. It is usually "last in, first out". As some of the water remains trapped for a length of time it will foul and stink. The more you may try to dry the bilge the closer you may get to releasing this fouled water and it's smell. I have learned to live with it as long as it doesn't smell and have for years but others go through great lengths to dry up their bilges with a lot of work and varying degrees of success.
Benny, Thank you for your reply in getting back to me. I think you may be on to something. At first water was fairly clean and the more I dry out and try to pinpoint leak, the dirtier the bilge water Is the next day.
Pardon my ignorance but could you clarify what “hull stringers” are you referred to?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Benny, Thank you for your reply in getting back to me. I think you may be on to something. At first water was fairly clean and the more I dry out and try to pinpoint leak, the dirtier the bilge water Is the next day.
Pardon my ignorance but could you clarify what “hull stringers” are you referred to?
IMG_20180420_132140445.jpg

The three white boxes that run the width of the boat are the stringers.