water in Bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elcamber

I own a 1995 MacGregor Classic and have experienced an increasing amount of water leaking into the bilge. I have had this problem to a lesser degree since purchasing the boat new in 1995 however the volume has increased on the past year. The amount of water in the bilge is directly proportional to the level of water in the ballast tank, indicating a leak between the tank and the hull. If I only let the level in the ballast tank come up to about 8"- 10" below the observation plug the problem is reduced however this is about 4"-5" less than the recommended level which represents a considerable volume. I have brought this to the attention of the dealer I purchased the boat from but so far no solution. Has anyone else experienced this problem and do you have any ideas on how to deal with it.

M

macgregorowners.com

Multiple leaks

We sail a '96 26X and have occassional water in the bilge. First, it was a leak in the cockpit drain--an unsealed joint. I fixed that. Now, It is from leaks in the TOP of the ballast tank. Apparently, we have loaded so much stuff on the boat that we sit lower in the water than the tank was designed for. If we don't get the air vent sealed really tight, it will leak slowly. Also, the bottom drain, which is on a threaded bolt that must be tightened at the top of the tank, can leak at the TOP of the tank. I solved all of that by installing a small bilge pump under the cooler tub. It runs for a few seconds 2-3 times a day if we are having any leaks.

S

Steve Shenkel

95C Leaks

I too have a 95C and have experienced a number of leaks over the years. I agree with the 26X owner who claims the seals to the air vent and plug can cause leaks. In addition, other sources I have found are; all the water drain hoses including the cockpit drain, the sink (during extreme heeling), and the centerboard penant tube. Presently I am experiencing leaks from my water tank filler hose. This one is my fault as I added a fixed water tank under the vee berth. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.