water in bilge/mantanence

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woody

When I got my boat, the top hatch had been off for years. The seals on the rest of the top side hatches were all missing. As I learn the plan of the boat I find that water could very well be collecting in there. It is all full of styrofoam which at least enough to see the hull well should be removed. Is there anything else I should do while I have the boat stripped down this far?

D

Dave West

Check the wiring

Steve, Good luck on your new boat. The styrofoam is factory installed so your boat won't sink. Water LOVES to get into the bilge on your model. It comes in around the rubrail where the deck and hull meet, it comes in where the forestay, backstay and shrouds attach, plus it can splash in around the swing keel. Like you, I bought a Mac 25 used. All of the factory wiring had been compromised by the constant immersion in the bilge. The fusebox/control panel was corroded beyond belief. In my opinion here are some things to do: #1 check out the swing keel cable, winch and bolts. It is possible to actually lose your keel if the main bolt fails. If your cable breaks you won't be able to get your boat back on the trailer. #2 make sure the lights and battery work. You NEVER know when you will be out after dark. (see above ... or say to yourself "a three hour tour, a three hour tour") Also decide if you need an anchor light. It is NOT standard and may need to be added. #3 throughly inspect your rudder system, especially where it attaches on the stern. The Mac 25 has a swing keel which will swing up, if it is not locked down, BUT your rudder won't. Look for stress marks on the stern that may indicate weaknesses from previous groundings. Also the very bottom of your rudder could be ground away letting water in and rotting it. #4 before you put it in the water stock and re-stock your safety gear. #5 my boat smelled like a cave until I took out all of the styrofoam and washed the blocks with a mild bleach solution. Peggy Hall also suggested flooding the bilge with fresh water and a little detergent, then rinsing throughly. That fixed the smell and let me address my wiring issues. Ol'Dave

W

Woody

Thanx Dave

Sounds like a lot of sound advise, and I will follow it. I have the cave thing going on also, and will be pulling all that at least out of the bow today. I am hoping there are no obstructions to stop the water from running down to the bow.

M

Mark

Feel Lucky

Be glad that "cave" is all you have. I just bought my '83 Mac 25 and it came complete with a 'coon family living under the port side cockpit (where there is zero access). Some ammonia (3 bottles), cayenne pepper, moth balls and bug spray finally convinced them to vacate to more peaceful surroundings. Now I can finally put the boat in the water (with the hatches all sealed tight). I was all set to do the drastic "hole in the glass" in the cockpit after a week of trying to drive them out but they finally left the evening before the jigsaw was plugged in...hmmm, I wonder how well shreaded flotation blocks work...the rest of the boat is in great shape though so I can't complain too much. Now, to get rid of the ammonia and moth ball smell...

C

Chris B.

Bilge

Does a bilge pump come standard in a MacGregor 25? How hard is it to wire the electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.