Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Irv

Planning to buy a 1987 Catalina 30. The boat has a water heater which is only heated electrically from shore power. It has no engine water connections. Could anyone help as to what kind of a job it is to install hoses and where do the hoses connect to the engine? Are there existing fittings to connect or would it be necessary to modify or put "T" or "Y" fittings at the proper places. Would really appreciate some help. Also if anyone has an engine water heater, how well does it work? Approximately how long does the engine have to run in order to get reasonably hot water? . Thanks Irv

B

Bob Camarena

Pretty Simple on Mine

I have a 1981 C-30 with a 5411 Diesel with sea water cooling. The hose from the thermostat housing on the engine goes to the water heater's heat exchanger inlet. The output hose from the water heater heat exchanger goes to the exhaust hose at the muffler. I'm sure your engine is freshwater cooled with a heat exchanger, so I'm not sure what your routing should be. I've never timed mine, but I know that any reasonable amount of motoring (1/2 hr+??) gives me plenty of hot water. Idling at anchor will not heat up the engine as hot as motoring so it will take longer. Once hot, my heater holds the water hot enough over night to wash up with in the morning. Assuming your heater has the proper connections, as projects go, this one is simple, inexpensive, and worthwhile.

J

Jeff Walker

I had to dis-connect mine

Irv, My '84 Cat. 30 was set up to heat electrically and also use cooling water. The problem I was never able to solve was air bubbles forming at the heater unit which prevented the water returning which caused over-heating. The heater was actually mounted higher than the engine which gave me an uphill run and made bleeding out air bubbles very difficult. I finally by-passed the system and have not had an overheat problem since. If you can mount the water heater below the engine water bleed valve, I don't believe you would have this problem. Fair winds, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.