water heater replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jerry

how do you remove the 6 gallon water heater from a 1987 cat 30? mine is leaking and must be replaced.

cmorin

Nov 10, 2004
- - Falmouth, ME
I've read...

Hey Jerry, I read somewhere, when Catalina builds sailboats, the decks our put on before things are put inside the cabin. So it should be able to be disconnected and removed. My heater is under the quarterberth and it looks like it could be disconnected from power, hoses and lifted out. I don't know how heavy it. Let us know how it goes ? What type of heater are you putting back in ? CM

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
It appears easy.....

I have the '88 model and my water heater is installed under the quarter berth as well. I took a good look at the way it was mounted and wired up and it would appear to be easy to remove. My biggest concern of course is ensuring the AC power was off for awhile so that whatever water remains is cool in addition to the heater coil. The hose and electrical connections look simple enough to detach and the tank should come out easily from the large opening as well. I am not sure how the tank is secured to the vessel on your model, but if it is retained within glassed support brackets those can be easily replaced if damaged during removal, which if careful should not happen. Keep us posted. Bob '88 - 30 Lake Lanier, GA

Status
Not open for further replies.