Water Heater replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron

Hello all, does anyone have any advice with regards to replacing a water heater in a First285? It burst last winter and has been on the hard all summer. I'm looking to replace it this winter. Do we get it from the water heater manufacturer or from Beneteau themselves? I'm new to this model so any help would be appreciated. It's a tight squeeze to remove the tank. It looks like the electrical breaker panel will need to be move before the tank can be lifted out. If the tank froze..could that have damaged the engine? The motor was supposed to have been winterized but the water system was not. Thanks in advance, Ron

R

Rick

other question

Ron: A question for you: I'm looking at a First 285 for purchase. Does the water heater work through the engine running alone or through shore power. In other words, can you heat water while away from the slip. Also, I've noticed the water heater is all but inaccessible, one of the few design weaknesses I've come across with the 285. What's your opinion of the 285 otherwise? Would you get it again?

R

Ron

Re: Water heater location

The water heater is in a bad location on the 285 from a service point of view. It is heated both from an electric element from shore power, and also from a heat exchanger through the engine. I still highly recommend this boat for handle and design. Storage is very limited. Ron O.

K

Konstantine Bakintas

No Shower... No Need for Hot Water

The water heater in our 285 simply clogged... it has been removed and we do not intend to replace it. The only time we would use it is for a shower... and the biggest problem with the 285 is the lack of a meaninful bildge. You see, the shower drains to the bildge and is then pumped out; however, the only true way of draining the bildge is mopping it out.

K

Konstantine Bakintas

No Shower... No Need for Hot Water

The water heater in our 285 simply clogged... it has been removed and we do not intend to replace it. The only time we would use it is for a shower... and the biggest problem with the 285 is the lack of a meaninful bildge. You see, the shower drains to the bildge and is then pumped out; however, the only true way of draining the bildge is mopping it out.

M

Marc

Heater Replacement

I'm not familiar w/ the 285, but on my 350, replacement is only a matter of finding one that fits in the physical space. West Marine and BoatUS both sell various size / types. simply find one that fits in the area, connect the hoses, and electrical connection (the element is usually internal.) Good luck Marc

M

Marc

Heater Replacement

I'm not familiar w/ the 285, but on my 350, replacement is only a matter of finding one that fits in the physical space. West Marine and BoatUS both sell various size / types. simply find one that fits in the area, connect the hoses, and electrical connection (the element is usually internal.) Good luck Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.