Water heater replacement

Dec 23, 2010
catilina 36 abacos, bahamas
Replacing 25 year old water heater on 1995 Catalina 30 - old heater can’t come out vertically due to the fiberglass pan liner nor moved forward or backward due to the angle of the hull - a sawsal would work and just cut it out but what’s the replacement ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Check gallons of hot water.

Perhaps you can get by with a smaller tank. They are better insulated now Able to keep the water you heated yesterday hot for the beginning of your second day Of cruising. You can find different designs ie. round rather than square.

Costs have gone up in the past 25 years. But what hasn’t.

• Helpful
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Choices:

bottom of the line Kuuma, looks like a Seaward, but cheaper construction, 5 - 6 year life

Seaward - most likely what's there if it's rectangular, 10-12 year life, what Catalina used

Raritan - more expensive than Seaward, different shape and size, same life, on some Catalinas

Isotherm (or Isotemp? I keep forgetting) - different shape, super insulation, top of the line, long lasting and keeps water hotter for longer

YOU need to do the research to find best pricing. In 2013 I found a place in Seattle less expensive than anywhere else, some by $100 for a $250 item !!! and I was living in SF at the time. Shop smart.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I had to replace my Seaward Whale S600 6 gal tank in March. Direct replacement from Amazon was about $330.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
isotemp is really top of the line, a cylindrical small tank, might be easier to fit. has engine cooling loop taps so you can heat tank h 2 0 by using waste heat off engine instead of shore power. we ahd the 6 gal and set the mixing valve to hottest temp and got hot h20 for 2 showers out of it each trip by running the engine homeward bound for 25 minutes . very easy to install if u can fit it in. caution : just DON'T winterize it with '50 below pink stuff' antifreeze' which at 100% concentration and no dilution turned to slush at -10 , froze, and deformed the tank seal....$700 for a whole new tank but at least i saved all the spares-- gaskets, electrodes, 2 thermal switches, shut off valves etc... and the old 6 gal one was OEM 2005. look online at defender etc, 'great lakes the distributor was $$$ more expensive and not at all helpful when i called. during the install isotemp has actual human beings answering tech inquiries , getting on the phone to call me back ! (who knew...!.)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Raritan water heaters are expensive, but they can last upwards of 25 years...My last two boats had Raritan water heaters...one was 11 years old when I sold the boat, the last one was 22 yrs old. Neither had ever needed any maintenance. Raritan Water Heater

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I agree that Raritan are the best water heaters I've used. Our last one was probably well over 20 years old. They keep the water hotter longer than any other unit I've used. They have a temperature adjustment.
I purchased a new one of another make (do not remember manufacturer) a few years back because it was what was available down here at the time, and it it will not keep the water hot overnight, does not have a temperature control and doesn't heat the water nearly as fast.
If you can fit a Raritan, go with it, you won't be disappointed.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Once got into a wrestling match trying to remove a strange red water heater that was in my used boat. Damn thing was big and very heavy. Finally got it out and on the dock to discover that it was an ancient house water heater. Must have been a "tankless" add on to someone's home boiler in a previous life. Previous owner made many similar modifications to that boat. BTW in your new water heater installation, if the water heater does not come with a mixing valve on the output, be sure to install one. It will increase your hot water output and prevent you from getting scalded with 180F water.

Dec 23, 2010
catilina 36 abacos, bahamas
Thanks everyone - the Isotherm 12 “ round - 4 - 6 gal unit might just work- sawsall the old Seaward out - I’m surprised Catilina put this water heater in with no way to remove it or install a similar sized water heater - again thanks -
- Peggy - your “ poop “ book is on the boat -

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
On our C30 I replaced the heater just before I sold the boat. I used one of those vibrating cutters to free the fiberglass holding the fuel tank and pushed it back. Then cut the fiberglass holding the heater, pushed it back and removed it. Install was the reverse process. You can access the hose connections by removing the three drawer cabinet - remove 6 screws and pull out as a unit.