Water Filter/strainer

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Has anyone replaced the crappy water strainer on their freshwater system? Not much room on my 410 but would be interested if anyone has a better filter system that can fit in the area where the pump is.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Been using a PUR brand galley faucet spout filter for years. Simple, effective and used for drinking water only. Got mine from a local thrift store including the filter cartridges. Our tank water tastes as sweet as if it came from a municipal system, but I use the filter just because.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
I also fitted a drinking water spout at the sink and have the cartridges under the galley bench- behind the sink.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have the filter on the faucet and it works fine. Was just wondering if anyone replaced the crappy stained that came with the boat.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The strainer is to pick up debris before it enters into the check valves of your water pump.

If you change it to a "filter", you won't get water to your pump.

That dinky strainer has several purposes...
1) Sight glass to check flow
2) Verify your water tank is empty
3) Strain sediment

Jim...

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Usually there's a strainer before the pump.
Hmmm? Pretty sure my dinky strainer is after the pump. I"ll check the next time I"m at the boat. Before makes more sense though. Maybe the PO rearranged?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our boat has two tanks and both have sediment strainers before the pump, and as Jim said, they serve the purpose of protecting the pump from sediment damage. Hopefully, you will find yours before the pump also. If not, you might consider re-plumbing to place it before the pump where it should be. Ours need cleaning about every season mostly from crust deposits formed inside the aluminum tanks.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks Terry, I'll take a look for strainers before the pump. Where your tank strainers close to the tank or closer to the pump?