Water Draining Somewhere Destination Unknown...

Aug 18, 2019
Columbia 26 Hampton
First few days I owned the boat water was going from sink to bilge no problem.

Now water is draining just fine but it's not going into bilge, or at least it doesn't look like it. I've drained a sizable amount of water through drain. I don't hear any water draining nor do I see any draining.

Note: the auto setting on Blige does not work, I think the little floating sensor thing is stuck. I've been running it manually ever since I purchased this boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As Harold Hill would say.....
"Friend, either you're closing your eyes​
To a situation you do not wish to acknowledge​
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated​
By the presence of water in your boat .​
Well, ya got trouble, my friend, right here,​
I say, trouble right here in River City...."​

It is time to redirect the water into a through hull not the bilge.

Aug 18, 2019
Columbia 26 Hampton
Update: bilge drain on outside is moist. Is it possible the bilge is stuck open somehow?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Something is not what may seem. I can just make an educated guess but not being there a guess nonetheless. I would guess that the water you see draining into the bilge is water that has accumulated in the stringers under the cabin sole. Your sink must be connected to a hose, get under it and follow the hose to see where it leads. If it is connected to a thru-hull under the water line then it should be properly draining outside the boat. I have seen early boats where the sink drains the gray water into a sump and then is pumped out. Regarding not having an automatic bilge pump that is no biggy, most boats of that era did not, just make sure you seal any leaks and the first thing you do when you go aboard is to flip the switch until all water is expelled. Your ice box must drain directly into the bilge so when using it you may run the pump at intervals.

Aug 18, 2019
Columbia 26 Hampton
Something is not what may seem. I can just make an educated guess but not being there a guess nonetheless. I would guess that the water you see draining into the bilge is water that has accumulated in the stringers under the cabin sole. Your sink must be connected to a hose, get under it and follow the hose to see where it leads. If it is connected to a thru-hull under the water line then it should be properly draining outside the boat. I have seen early boats where the sink drains the gray water into a sump and then is pumped out. Regarding not having an automatic bilge pump that is no biggy, most boats of that era did not, just make sure you seal any leaks and the first thing you do when you go aboard is to flip the switch until all water is expelled. Your ice box must drain directly into the bilge so when using it you may run the pump at intervals.
ahh yes I cleaned the ice box when I first got the boat and saw water accumulating in the bilge area. I thought the sink went there too. That clears things up. My local sea dog said everything looks good just wanna run the bilge hose up a bit higher in the back. Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
ahh yes I cleaned the ice box when I first got the boat and saw water accumulating in the bilge area. I thought the sink went there too. That clears things up. My local sea dog said everything looks good just wanna run the bilge hose up a bit higher in the back. Thanks
Draining the icebox is convenient, until something drains out of the ice box that provides a nice habitat for unwelcome microbes.

You might want to think about alternatives that can keep those unpleasant better contained and not introduce them to the microbiological paradise that is a bilge. Yep, this is first hand knowledge. :confused:

Aug 18, 2019
Columbia 26 Hampton
I use a tiny fridge that fits right into my internal stern storage. it can either freeze or refrigerate.

The cooler was bleached and is not in use

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
ahh yes I cleaned the ice box when I first got the boat and saw water accumulating in the bilge area. I thought the sink went there too. That clears things up. My local sea dog said everything looks good just wanna run the bilge hose up a bit higher in the back. Thank
Be careful about raising the bilge discharge port. The more the pump has to lift water the less capacity it will have. The units of lift are called "Heads" best defined as vertical feet of liquid. FYI, bilge pumps are rated on a bench with no loads, in the real world with voltage and heat losses and lifting loads the average 500GPH pump you maybe lucky if it gives 125GPH. Keep it as short and as low as possible.