Water damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

karen

Hi, I took a second look at this sailboat & I decided to have an out of the water survey. Its a 1977 O'Day 25ft - it has a Honda is 8hp/4 stroke purchased in 2001 with electric start and alternator, the roller furler and mainsail were new in 2004, the jib on the furler is a 150%, & it has 2 extra jibs- a 110% and a storm jib. The owner had to repair some water damage on the wall between the toilet & the cabin. He had to gut it out & replace the wall. I checked it out really well & did not feel a soft spot on the deck or any visual water damage on the inside. My question - is it possible to do the work that he did & still have a sound boat? I made an offer of $4000 - which he accepted contingent on a water test & results of the survey. Any info would be helpful! Thanks, Karen

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Looks Good!

But looks can be deceiving. The surveyor should be able to answer your question about the integrity of the boat. It's best to get a professional answer on this one. That what you're paying him for. Good Luck! P.S. Check the two extra jibs. Ensure that they are roller-furler compatible. In other words make sure they are not hank-on jibs. They will be useless on that rigging. They may be a way of trying to "hook" in a buyer.

E

ed

i thnk your doing pretty well

sounds like you have a good deal going. If the repair work is ok you should be fine. the survey is a good idea and if you find things that are not right you could always negotiate the repair. good luck looks like a nice boat.

Jul 25, 2005
Oday 25 Monroe Lake Indiana
Desparation?

*pop I would think that the outboard is worth $2,000 - so basically your paying $2,000 for the rest of the boat - I bought a '78 - 25' last year - spent $3K on a new outboard and bracket - and $3K on a complete bottom job - sand to gel coat - blister repair - barrier coat - prime and anti fouling - The boat had been in the water for over 10 years - I had to replace the bulkhead - that is quite common for this model to leak through the chainplate - I did this myself - turned out great - and - if/when you buy this boat - you will immediately need to buy Casey's - this Old Boat - Look at the web page on 25s - I think they average $7K in asking price - which I do believe is close to the NADA values - I believe mine is worth $10K - (worth a lot more to me and the wife!) At $4K - I would think it is a steal - and you really don't have much negotiating room - Good luck!

D

David W

Converting to roller is easy tho'

All things being equal, converting the two other jibs to be roller furling compatible would be easy and pretty inexpensive

Status
Not open for further replies.