Water Damage on Oday 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ellen Traver

I am thinking about purchasing an Oday 22. The boat has been out of the water for 2 years and has about 4 inches of water in the cabin. I assume that the water has been there for about 2 years. The exterior of the boat appears to be in excellent condition. Will there be long term problems from the water damage?? Is there anything that can be done to dry-out the cabin?? What is underneath the cabin (wood, fiberglass)??

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
I'd worry

Corrosion to keel bolts or swing keel mechanics? I'd worry. Delamination of furnishings - plywood or wood rot - I'd be concerned. How did the water get in there - I'd worry more. I once inspected a 27 foot boat with cracks in the deck. I checked her out in a rainstorm - it was raining below as well. Lots of potential for deck core damage if the deck is leaking. Not sure I'd trust any story that tried to sugarcoat or minimize the problems. Experts will know more - but worry.

T

Tim

Venture 22 Wading Pool

It all depends on the boat, the deal and how much work you want to put into it. A few years ago I came across a 1976 Venture 22 that was in similar condition. It was sitting on a trailer tilted back with the entire aft filled with water. Probably would have been two feet if it was level. I decided to get the boat and fix her up. Pumped dry I I took everything out. The wooden bulkheads were rotted so made new ones. The keel winch was locked with rust so replaced it. Cushions just needed to be dried. The rest of the interior just needed a good cleaning with a pressure washer and new paint. Hull was sound and rig was in good shape. All of the lines and blocks needed to be replaced but the sails were good. With this work done I sailed her for a few years and enjoyed it very much, never had a single problem. I don't regret going through it at all. I feel like I rescued a boat from rotting in a field and learned a lot in the process.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Potenial Headache

Ellen, I would be very concerned about a boat that has been sitting for two years with or without water inside. The water inside the boat for the past two years is bound to have seeped into the fiberglass sturcture . Now tht is not necessarily a problem unless it has effected the wood supports that the fiberglass covers. The only true way to see that is to drill a few 2" holes in the structural members which I doubt the present owner would be to happy about. You would have to see, what if anything, it did to the keel bolts. Two years under water is not great for them. I would also have to think that the tabbing that holds the bulkheads in place has to have been effected. Now add that the gaskets and seals in the engine are probably dried out, the fuel is stagnant and you don't know what shape the electrical system is in. I would suggest that the amount of work and money to bring this boat back to some semblence of decent shape you could put towards a boat that is bettr condition and have a lot less stress. BTW, I looked at a 45 IP last year that sat shrinkwrapped for two years. The hull and all was in pretty good shape but as I thought about the engine, cleaning the mold and whatever else It just didn't pay! Good luck and If I can answer anything else please feel free to get a hold of me Charlie

Jul 12, 2004
- - CHAUTAQUA LAKE ,NY
FIXER UP!

I bought a 23FT,87 Hunter that was sitting under pine trees for two years. It also had water sitting in the bottom but nothing was spongy & no rust. most of the water came from the broken hose in the anchor locker. The outside looked fine along with all the hardware. It became a family project taking things apart to clean throughly. The cusions smelled of mildew & my wife's allergy went over the top every time she was below. I tried everything but the smell was still their. The covers were getting a little ratty so I had new foam cut from the old ones & we picked out some denim fabric from a local store. We contracted a person to sew everything up, paid about $1000 total for everything but well worth it. Be warned that one project turns into another one very quickly. I put about 80hrs in it before it was ready for the water...good luck

M

Mike Misko

What price/age?

Lot's of factors to consider. I went through a very similar situation this year with my H23, and about 10 years ago with with an MFG 19. We bought the boat in February, and the depth of the cabin water was not as bad as what you described because it was frozen in sections behind the various bulkheads! However, I believed I was seeing all of it and had some pretty good ideas of where it came from through posts in this forum's archives. In my judgement, the work I knew I was signing up for was balanced with a low price and a boat age that was in the range acceptable to me. Also, I believed I was capable and knowledgeable enough to tackle what needed to be done. With small boats, I think it usually comes down to cleaning, painting/oiling/staining, minor rebedding and refitting. I pretty much replaced all the electrical systems, but it's just simple 12 volt lights and accessories. We have over 300 hours in our project, but could have sailed about halfway through (but we kept it on the hard for ease of working on it). Depending on your tolerance for mold, be prepared to replace the cushions and hull liner. Cushions on your boat will run $800 to $1,000 depending on your approach, unless you do a salvage job like I'm still in the middle of (waiting on the Admiral to finish sewing new covers for foam inserts that I washed multiple times in a bathtub). If I had a do over, I'd fork over the bucks for a new set of cushions. Nothing could be done about the hull liner except rip it out, which turned into a big job. I neglected sail condition in my inspection. Ours are usable, but will need replaced soon. Finally, I was prepared to walk away and writeoff my small initial investment if I found a big surprise (like rotted unfixable bulkheads or some kind of keel separation that could not be dealt with). Was it worth it and would I do it again - absolutely! I am very proud of what we accomplished and believe we saved a good boat from becoming a derelict. Also, I enjoyed the restoration work, although it might have been hard to detect my happiness during some of the darker moments. My experiences are documented in more detail in the small boat archives. It's different for everybody though. Some will tell you to spend a few thousand more and get one ready to sail right now. That is certainly a valid viewpoint, too. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.