Water Ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bert Simpson

I have owned smaller Catalina's in the past and am just closing a deal on an almost new MacGregor. The water ballast is new to me, but the concept seems simple enough. One question, do any of you have problems with noise in the cabin from the water in the tank?

D

Dean Smith

No Problem!

We have a '96 26X, and have been sailing it for 5 years now. We have not noticed any 'noise' from the water ballast. Bear in mind that the ballast tank should be FULL when it is in use. A half-full tank would allow the water to slosh around and could actually be quite dangerous under certain conditions. The owner's manual is very clear about this. The only noise we notice is if we have left the centerboard down at night -- it 'clunks' as the boat rocks.

G

George

quite water

I've had a water ballast 26s for four years. Absolutely no noise from the tank. When you put the water in it fills completely to the top. No room to slosh and make noise. By the way, I found that if I put one tab of bromide (you can find it in hot tub supply stores) in the water at the beginning of the season you will get no green slime, growths, or smells.

Status
Not open for further replies.