Waste Water Tank Level Gauge Hunter 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2012
2006 Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
The black water tank level gauge in not working on my 2006 Hunter 33. Since the fresh water gauge works fine (same gauge but with a switch to have it indicate fresh or waste water) I assume it is the waste water level sender that had broken.

I have no documentation about this. I don't even know how it works (float switch, or other level sensing technology?) Or who the manufacturer is.

Can anybody tell me what is involved in buying a new level sensor and installing it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

steve

Jan 12, 2012
None None Bellingham, WA
Steve-

I don't know for sure if they used they same equipment in my 2000 340, but I've had to pull my sending unit (out the top of the tank) once already to "unclog" it, and it's looking like it needs it again. The worst part is moving all the batteries and stuff to get to the top of the tank (though I don't know if your holding tank is in the same place as mine). The actual job of pulling the sending unit and cleaning it up is fairly easy, if not a bit gross.

From what I have read, this is a fairly common issue with these boats.

Good luck!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Mine stopped working several years ago. Same thing, water works, not holding tank. I've been too lazy to pull the sending unit, which is fairly accessible behind the hatch in the aft cabin. I take a flashlight and shine on the top of the tank which will light up the interior enough to see the level of the liquid, to check if I need a pump-out.

Dec 5, 2009
Hunter 36 Hernando Beach, FL
I replaced my WEMA sender in my Hunter 36 over the winter. If that is the same sender unit you have, it was inexpensive and the service from WEMA was excellent.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
The WEMA may not be your best bet for the holding tank. I would consider getting one that attaches on the exterior of the tank.

May 24, 2011
Marlow Hunter 40 Oriental, NC
Does it not register at all? Mine begins registering when half full. I inquired about this a while back and learned this is due to the positioning of the sensor so that any buildup of solids in this holding tank doesn't interfere withe the sensor.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Wema

The sending unit is easy to check if working OK just go to Wema web site for all info,they get stuck easy and maybe just need cleaning.
Nick

Jan 28, 2012
2006 Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
I was the originator of this thread, and, based on your responses (thank you), I just bought and installed a new waste water level sender.

I thought I'd share what had happened to the old one. The stainless steel cover had completely corroded away as per the photo. Everything else was fine, but without the protection of the cover, it had clogged up.

Anybody got any idea what could have caused this? Or has anybody experienced the same?

I don't think our "waste" is any stronger that anybody else's, and all that's gone down is waste, toilet paper, an occasional vinegar slosh, and holding tank deodorant.

The boat is 5 yrs old.

Attachments

Oct 7, 2008
Hunter 340 Seattle
Holding Tank Indicator

My holding tank indicator (H340) comes from two metallic strips on the tank exterior with electrical connections to a little "junction box", then two wires off to the display. My tank indicator reads 1/2 when it is full, does that mean the reading from one metallic strip is not working? If so, the problem must be inside the little "junction box".

Mar 11, 2010
Hunter 33 Somers Point,NJ
I also have a 33 with the same problem. How difficult was replacing the sensor?
How do you access the holding tank?
Can you let me know which wema model # you replaced it with.
I'm not that handy-is it a reasonably easy project?
Thanks .

I was the originator of this thread, and, based on your responses (thank you), I just bought and installed a new waste water level sender.

I thought I'd share what had happened to the old one. The stainless steel cover had completely corroded away as per the photo. Everything else was fine, but without the protection of the cover, it had clogged up.

Anybody got any idea what could have caused this? Or has anybody experienced the same?

I don't think our "waste" is any stronger that anybody else's, and all that's gone down is waste, toilet paper, an occasional vinegar slosh, and holding tank deodorant.

The boat is 5 yrs old.

Dec 5, 2009
Hunter 36 Hernando Beach, FL
WEMA makes two types od waste tank sensors that differ by the method of attachment to the tank. My Hunter 36 had a threaded connection, The other type is held in the tank by a ring with five (?) small screws. You will need to know which you have and the length of your existing unit before ordering. Other than screwing the new gauge into the tank, you will need to crimp the two sensor wires together with a connector and heat shrink then to eep moisture out. Total time to replace the gauge 30 minute. Time to contort myself to get access also 30 minutes.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Wema

On the wema web site they have instructions for testing the the tank sending unit with ohms meter.
Mine was not working and I tested and cleaned but would not work and so I replaced the round gauge at the nav station and still not very good reading,I gave up and on my 07 H-36 I open the stern step locker and can see how much in tank and maybe if the water part ever stops working I will change to whole new gauge and sending units.
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.