Waste Tank Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Perry

I recently had a macerator pump malfunction with a resulting waste tank overflow through the deck pumpout fitting. I have since changed the macerator and continue to have new problems with the system which may be the result of a clogged waste vent line.The symptoms of the problem are smelly air gurgling up in the toilets and occasional waste water overflow from the deck pumpout fitting when the tank is less thgan half full. I have attempted blowing compressed air (110 lbs from a portable tank) and spraying fresh water from a garden hose down the waste air vent. Neither has solved the problem. I am now considering changing the vent line. Is this the solution? Is there a better one? Has anyone solved a similar problem?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Steve, had a similar problem on our...

P42 when we purchased it from the previous owner. I wrote articles on it, which you can find in the archives on this site. To clear our vent line I had to disconnect the vent line from the tank and hook up city water using various fittings and clamps. With water pressure applied I took a small screwdriver, and while hanging over the toe rail, gently scraped inside the scupper. Whatever was in there broke loose with a whoosh from the water pressure. I suspect it was sewage that had backed up inside the line and dried, or a bug nest. Later, the other problem I had was the 1/4 inch bronze elbow on the tank where the vent line connects was plugged from calcified sewage. In this case I used a bent coat hanger to ream out the elbow. That was two years ago. Now the head system functions normally. I make it a practice of following Peggie's advice after each cruise to pump out the holding tank, fill with fresh water, then pump and flush with a few gallons until clear water pumps out. Then I use city water under pressure using a special hose nozzle at the scupper to make sure the vent line is clear. Just spraying water at or into it does not work. Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.