Wash Down Pump Location

May 9, 2013
Catalina 310 Oyster Bay, NY
I am in the process of installing a Johnson Pumps 5.2 GPM wash down pump on Concerto.
Has anyone installed a pump like this? Wondering where the best place is to install it and where I should put the hose connectors on the outside of the boat. (Trying to avoid any tripping hazards). Also, which thru-hull would be best to tee off for the feed water?
Appreciate any ideas for this mid-summer project.
Thanks all,
Alan

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I'm on an inland lake and don't need a macerator pump so I installed my wash down pump where it was and used that thru haul. I installed the exit for it under the port perch seat. I hook a hose to it and also a patio mister to cool the top of my Captain Navy Bimini. It can get real hot in the sun. I will take some pictures tomorrow if I can.

May 30, 2014
Catalina 310 Apollo Beach
I am in the process of installing a Johnson Pumps 5.2 GPM wash down pump on Concerto.
Has anyone installed a pump like this? Wondering where the best place is to install it and where I should put the hose connectors on the outside of the boat. (Trying to avoid any tripping hazards). Also, which thru-hull would be best to tee off for the feed water?
Appreciate any ideas for this mid-summer project.
Thanks all,
Alan
I am considering a wash down pump on my recently purchased 310. I have divided the anchor locker into two sections so that both anchors have it's own space. there is enough room for a pump and hose. I am thinking about just having the intake hose in the locker and tossing it overboard when needed. The intake and discharge hoses will not be that long and I think that there is more than enough room.
Eric

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
The probable best place to install such pumps is 'below the boats waterline'. Although these Johnson pumps are extremely well made and are 'self priming', over time the valves 'will' wear and begin to leak and the pump will or can 'lose prime'. Mounting such pumps below the waterline will insure a flooded suction which will keep these valves wetted which will KEEP them 'self priming'.
There's a hydrodynamic advantage too: Suction mode on 'any' pump is very inefficient. Locating the pump so that it has a flooded suction removes all 'wastage' of power to operate the 'suction side' and the 'discharge' will then be 'stronger' with more developed pressure and amount of output flow - with all pumps: its called "net positive suction head".