Wanting to run the ICW from Galveston Tx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
Has anyone sailed the ICW out of Galveston?
I just got my boat, and thinking ahead.
In the spring, summer, our prevailing wind is some derivative of a south wind.
I don't know which way the current runs in the ICW.
If I head south towards Matagorda, for example. Would it take longer or shorter to sail back? I'm thinking the current runs south. Maybe the forces from wind and current would cancel each other out and time would be roughly the same?
Jim

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
The current in the Texas ICW between Galveston and Matagorda is negible since the Army Corp of Engineers cut a new channel for the San Bernard River. The Colorado River is a lock through when the river is up. The Brazos River is a lock through, also. Sailing south is mostly a motorsail unless you can really point. :) It's doable but slow. Back is much faster except for short stretches of the ICW where is turns somewhat south to skirt a bay.

What's fun is the way the ICW walls dip and rise. As they dip, you get the full effect of the breeze for a little ways. Flat water usually so you reallly fly in spots. Don't forget to sightsee along the way. We saw eagles and pelicans and lots of birds. And if you're lucky, pet the dolphins in San Antonio Bay. :)

Sep 26, 2010
Wayne,
Thanks for the info. I'm in Houston and just bought a Mac 26S. I haven't even hit the water yet! I'm just looking for something to do besides go around in circles in Galveston bay.
It would be more fun if there was an actual destination, outside the bay.
Motor sailing south in the ICW doesn't sound very appealing. Maybe I should trailer south and have my kids drop me off, then sail back!
Jim

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I'd finish exploring Galveston Bay first. It's bigger than it looks on a chart. I've sailed on racing boats that took nearly all day to round the marks from Kemah to the ship channel and north to the Mid Bay Marsh. Matagorda Bay is a place to GET AWAY from everyone. I've spent whole three day weekends on it and saw one other boat.

Quick splash point in Galveston Bay is April Fool Point. Deep, steep ramp. And a restaurant to eat at on Sunday when you get back.

Quick splash point in Matagorda Bay is the TPWD ramp in Palacios. Deep, steep protected ramp on the north end of the bay. I've launched at Magnolia Beach on the west side but there's a hump about halfway down the dock for the powerboaters powerloading their boats and it's probably even worse since I've been there. Port O'Connor has a couple of good ramps that drop you straight into the ICW but you're only a mile or so from the bay. Don't go to Pass Cavallo without local RECENT knowledge as the sandbars shift hourly there. Basically the entire south side of Matagorda Bay is the same as it was when the Spanish arrived. Skeeters, snakes and alligators.

Have fun, and take your time with each bay.

Sep 26, 2010
Well,
I got the boat broke in. Had a couple days out of Kemah, and spent a night in Clear lake. I think next time instead of aimlessly cruising, I heading for Redfish island. Has anyone camped there? It looks like there would be protection from wave action from ships and wind. Would the fishing be any good around there? I was thinking about sailing laps around the island and trolling jigs or lures.
Will bring my own food just in case but it would be cool to catch and eat fish in the same afternoon there.
Jim

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Be careful when you use the term "aimlessly cruising". You will offend a lot of daysailers and racers out there... and WE make up a big part of this forum. We all have our boats for our own reasons and I, for one, have only been able to "aimlessly cruise" over the past few years because of other commitments. The fact is... I love sailing, for sailing's sake... I've owned a number of small sailboats and it was all about dialing in the boat for speed, racing around bouys, flying a hull, enjoying lunch with friends, marveling at the dolphins and migrating whales..... just being out there.

So if you are just "aimlessly cruising" you aren't using the precious time you do have to improve your sailing skills. Why not create an action plan to improve your seamanship on those days when you don't have time to cruise to a destination. Being able to check off some new skills on your sailing resume will certainly make that time seem worthwhile and valuable.

Sep 26, 2010
Joe,
No offense intended. Don't get me wrong. I have sailed dinghies and my Hobie 18 for years in the bay and the gulf. We usually go which ever way we get the best speed, and we are constantly playing with sail trim to get the best speed. It's always a good time for all. Not really caring about a destination. That's what I meant when I say "aimlessly sailing"
Now that I have the Mac, I still will sail it as efficiently as I can, but my interest is changing. I eventually want to cruise to places that will take some navigation to get to.
It seems like small targets in the bay might be a good place to start, and Redfish Island looks like it might be a cool place to overnight at.
Jim

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Joe,
No offense intended. Don't get me wrong. I have sailed dinghies and my Hobie 18 for years in the bay and the gulf. We usually go which ever way we get the best speed, and we are constantly playing with sail trim to get the best speed. It's always a good time for all. Not really caring about a destination. That's what I meant when I say "aimlessly sailing"
Now that I have the Mac, I still will sail it as efficiently as I can, but my interest is changing. I eventually want to cruise to places that will take some navigation to get to.
It seems like small targets in the bay might be a good place to start, and Redfish Island looks like it might be a cool place to overnight at.
Jim
That's cool... I was just poking a little fun... and expressing a bit of envy ... I've always wanted to "gunkhole" the gulf coast....truck my boat to south texas and work my way around to Florida.. Anyway, your plan is good and you have the right type boat for it... have a blast.

Sep 26, 2010
If I could just talk one of my kids into dropping me and the admiral off at the bay and then picking us up somewhere else up the coast, maybe, Say,,,,,,, New Orleans!
Jim

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
Hi Jim,

I crewed on a Pacific Seacraft 37 on the Harvest Moon Regatta this past October. We had a blast sailing (offshore) to Port Aransas from Galveston. Took us a bit over 27 hours. On Sunday, we decided to return on the ICW due to small craft warnings. We stopped each night of course, and took us the better part of 3 days including the trip from Galveston to Clear Lake. Most others had decided to do the same, so there were boats in front and behind us. I heard one barge captain radio another, saying the line of sailboats stretched to mile marker (?), was like 12 miles.

There are some beautiful areas along the way, and wildlife abound as mentioned. We had two dolphins swimming next to our cockpit for about 30 minutes one day. Fun trip. Launch the boat in Port A, and return to Galveston if you can spare the time.

Order yourself a Waterway Guide (Southern Edition). It will help plan the trip. http://www.waterwayguide.com/editions.php?area=southern_2011

Hope to read about some of your adventures in the near future. Have fun, and be safe.

Ralph

Sep 26, 2010
Hey Robert,
The trip up from port A sounds fun. 3 days is doable for me, I'm not so sure about to admiral. Might have to make it a father/son trip. I still have to find a way to get my trailer transported.
Look for me on the bay, I usually put in under the bridge at Kemah.
Boats name is Windswept, it's out of Bay City, Tx.
jim

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
Maybe I'll see ya out there some time. Have fun.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.