Wanted: input on forum search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I have a real, authentic, professional programmer working on a new configuration of forum search.

One thing I'd like to know from you is how you want it to display the results.

The old style listed individual posts (i.e., it would display every reply in a given thread that contained the search keywords). But our survey indicated that wasn't a very popular method.

Would you prefer it list on topic threads that contain the keywords, then bold your keywords in the list of replies?

You will still be able to filter results by boat brand, model, and author. In the past, the default was set for the site you were using. For example, searching from CatalinaOwners.com would default to filtering out results posted from other sites. Is that still good, or would you rather the default displayed all results from all sites?

Any other input on how you would like search to work?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
A list of on-topic threads with keywords could be good.
All sites would be okay by me, too.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Default for all sites would be better for me than the site I am on. Numerous times I have searched and failed to find what I knew was there only to realize later that the filter of my present site was eliminating the item I was l was searching.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yep, all sites default, and we can filter if we want.. Several times I knew I'd seen a post on a subject but couldn't locate it until I'd taken off all the filters.
I've had problems with things like abbreviations and stuff too.. Like if you search for a boat from Louisiana, I found different results if using "Louisiana", LA., LA , La. etc.. depending on what the guy entered in the State box..

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
all sites please. None of us have a lock on all knowledge, no matter what brand of boat we currently own.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Just want to clarify, we're talking about the _default_ search settings, not the _only_ search settings.

The down side of this is, you're searching for solutions to the vented loop problem in the forward head of the Hunter 42 and if you're not paying attention, you're getting info on vented loops for the Catalina 42, Beneteau 42s7, Sabre 42, etc.

Not that this is bad or wrong, but we get complaints about that, too.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
searching for ''gun aboard'' posts and get most replies from the war room, should not be in default setting you propose.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Yikes! No, the War Room is excluded from search results and it's only there now because of this temporary lack of filters while we install the new setup. That will all be gone by next week.

Sorry Stretch, I know that messes up your research. :(

Jul 30, 2012
O Day 28 foot Fernandina Beach
The new approach sound simple and more direct. The old forum search worked well for my needs and skill level. Move forward. Boatsail1

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I will be happy with what ever you come up with. Please just keep up the great work! This site is a priceless wealth of knowledge.
Thanks for sharing Phil!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Yikes! No, the War Room is excluded from search results and it's only there now because of this temporary lack of filters while we install the new setup. That will all be gone by next week.

Sorry Stretch, I know that messes up your research. :(
Not only his...
A search function dedicated exclusively to the war room would help. :D

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Speaking of search, I looked at an alpha version and it's coming right along. The filters work great and the results are very accurate.

Right now we're working on a better way to display the results. It will still search replies, but it will display them grouped together with the thread so you can see the relationship between the two. Hopefully we'll be ready to launch next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.