Want ideas for a week in Desolation Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard

I have rented a boat for a week in early august to go to desolation sound. Likely everyone else will be there also, but does anyone know of any must do things? I have a few magazine articles, a chart, and a pilot guide so I am mostly prepared,but would like any other information anyone cares to pass on. Thanks. Richard

S

SEAN

DESOLATION SOUND

Definitly check out Forbes Bay on the starboard side as you travel up Homfray Channel. It's about half way up. One of the few good anchor spots. Beach is covered with oysters and musssels. Up behind is a glacier with a creek that empties into this small bay. The other memorable place I remember it the bay[supersmall] on the western most tip of Read Island. There's a small beach with sea otters running all over and the walls on three sides are straight up. Playing music in there has the ampitheater effect. It's truly unbeleivable. We swam there with the otters. The water is crystal clear and about 70 degrees. Get back to me if you think you may want the coordinates. seanshine113@yahoo.com. Have a great trip. Sean CARNABY STREET

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Ditto

The guidebooks keep saying there's no decent anchorage in there, but Forbes would be fine in calm, settled weather. Homfray is incredible, even if you just motor through it for a day. There are a series of books by Bill Wolferstan that are good for cruise planning (I think there are a couple of them in the store). the popular spots are popular for good reasons; Refuge and Squirrel Cove, and if you can find a spot between all the huge powerboats, Prideaux Haven. Enjoy!

J

jamie

Hi From British Columbia

Hi Welcome to B.C.(Bring lots of your yankee dollars we need them. Anyway it is a fantastic place and you should get the book referred to for aguide and a keep sake the photos are hard to duplicate and will certainly be a nice referral in the future of yor trip. I found that anchoring was in a nice shelterd bay in a corner or tucked behind a small island and usually in deep waters with a stern tie.Note the name Desolation is very appropriate, other than boats after you leave the entrance ,no roads,cars,homes, just rugged nature high mountains fjordes clear waters.Sailing maybe limited because of the high mountains narrow passages back in to the spots you are looking for after you leave the entrance,so fuel should be topped up and provision well as you will not want to leave your fantastic itinery and go back for ice,beer, etc.I do not know where you are departing from but I live in Nanaiamo just on the door step of the sound and sail a c-30 so if I can help make your trip any better let me know

R

Richard

Departing from Comox in August

We chose to rent from the closest place to desolation sound so that we could maximize our time there. Thanks everyone for the great ideas so now I can get back to my chart and plan a bit more. As with all trips the plan will only be a rough guide that will likely get tossed out on day one!

B

Brian

Desolation Sound

I consider Desolation to be a mecca for all cruising sailors. Stuff you'll need to know- Your best re-provisioning is in Refuge Cove- don't be fooled by the size of the store- they've got everything. Don't worry about water quality in most places in Desolation- most of the bottled water available in Vancouver comes from the Desolation Sound area. Grace Harbour is beautiful, if you don't mind jellyfish, Tenedos bay is great if you anchor behind the unnamed island on the north side of the bay. Running a stern line ashore is mandatory in most anchorages- anchorages range anywhere from 3-6 fathoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.