Wandering while moored

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Richard

A week or so ago we sailed to Catalina Harbor on Catalina Island in Southern California. You who are local will realize that the prevailing wind is from the west to northwest. We picked up a mooring in the late afternoon and securred the bow and stern. The wind was still coming into the Harbor. I noticed that the boat was making a figure eight while on a fore and aft mooring. It became so bad, that it would swing to within three feet of a neighboring fifty footer. For peace mind, we moved. My question is, why does this happen? None of the other boats seemed to make this figure eight movement. We were moored on the outer edge of the channel, so the boat captured the wind better. Is there a way to minimize this movement. It was really disconcerting. John Richard s/v Jack's Place

R

Roy Mosteller

Keep Stern Line Tight

I have experienced this several times on Catalina moorings and it is usually at low tides when the stern line is slack. I keep the line relatively tight and it seems to minimize the wandering. Just make sure you don't make it so tight you move the concrete anchor block (I did one time).

Status
Not open for further replies.