Walberg Creek Entrance Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
When coming across Saint Catherines Sound in a stiff breeze as I did yesterday, it's tempting to cut across the long shoal that forms an extension of the north bank of Walberg Creek if you plan to seek shelter there. It's also tempting at the end of a long run to this beautiful spot.

BobT's friends in Second Wind ran the magenta line which goes far out into the entrance of the sound to the ocean. This left them with a hard slog under power back up to the creek. It also could have left them in a dicey situation if their engine hadn't started, being carried out to sea by two knots of current. It would have been tough in those conditions to set sail and beat to windward in the nasty chop.

There have been a lot of changes in this area and the chart is pretty much fictional now. Since it was calm this morning and I planned a very short day, I decided to do a quick survey. My soundings are in red, corrected to MLW with the tide data in my Garmin chartplotter.

The highlighted track shows my attempt to feel my way along the 8 foot sounding line. There are some 10 foot spots along that track but I was shy about pushing right in with a lot of current behind me. When I found the 5 foot spot earlier on, the depth change was quite fast.

The good news is that the short cut is now shorter. However, the deeper water now present to the west could get someone headed northbound for the creek in trouble. "Good, it's gotten a lot deeper than the chart sa...WHAM!"

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
That's a study in contrasting depth info! An example of just how much channels get scoured back and forth the closer one gets to the ocean inlets?

Status
Not open for further replies.