Wake Up Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I’m fighting off a minor cold. This is the first micro-organism caused illness that has diverted me from normal activity and schedule since leaving Portland for Canada a year ago last July. Cruising is a healthy life.

A friend stopped by for lunch. As she was leaving, she said she smelled something hot. I looked around and assured her that it was just the cabin heater which has been running 24 hours a day for the past few days. She asked if I had a CO detector and I assured her that I did and knew it worked because the Origo alcohol stove sets it off if I cook for a long time. I haven’t been testing and checking it regularly though. She left and I turned in for a nap thinking this cold was really starting to take hold.

I had just drifted off when the CO detector started beeping loudly. I keep it on the shelf above my bunk and inches from my ear so I was AWAKE. I stumbled around, opened up the ports and hatches. The cabin heater has never set off the alarm as it is vented. I made sure the cowl vents were pointed in the right direction and started bumbling around straightening up things in the galley.

Almost the first thing I decided to do was put the little plastic disks into the Origo burners which I had left out after heating up the soup. When I opened up the stove, there was a small flame inside. This has never happened before with the stove but turning the knob to off had not extinguished it. No flame was visible from the outside. Since it was burning very inefficiently, it was probably producing large amounts of CO.

If this had happened at night instead of an afternoon nap, you might well be reading about this in the boating press instead of one of my posts.

Every boat should have a CO detector in each sleeping area. I am going to be a lot more consistent about testing mine and I hope there will not be any more mornings when I wake up and see that I forgot to put the disks in the stove. One of their most important functions is to make sure you open up the stove so you can verify that the fire is out.

I now have a splitting headache.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi Roger,
These are symptoms of CO poisoning and are accumalative, get it checked out. Your boat needs a thorough venting.

All U Get

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Maybe better sleep ashore tonight and let Strider "breathe".

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
Happened to me about 5 years ago when my heat exchanger split on my house furnace, rescue came and fortunatley family is all ok but they said to us at the hospital if anyone anytime gets carbon monoxide in there system to go immediatleyt o the hospital...good luck and GO

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
Roger, a similar thing happened with my Origo Heatpal a few years ago:
After cooking a high-powered chili with high heat, I shut the knob and as usual didn't put the rubber disc back on until the unit cooled. An hour later, I noticed the cabin abnormally warm. While cleaning up the the galley, I went to open the Heatpal to install the disc, and the whole thing was HOT! So hot that it had melted the Nylon carry strap right off. I pried off the lid with tongs, and a gout of flame greeted me. Over the side it went (thank heavens for alcohol, eh?). After retrieving the thing from Davy's, I pieced together what had happened: high cooking heat had warmed up the entire alcohol canister, such that when I closed the damper, internal pressure was forcing vapours out past the seal, which then were hot enough to auto-ignite. The resulting high heat continued the situation.
Lesson learned: I now extinguish the flame by closing the damper, and then re-open the damper until the entire unit is cooled down past auto-ignition temperature (warm to the touch). It only takes a few minutes to cool appropriately.
Secondly, I didn't realize alcohol produced CO as by-product; I thought the only exhaust was CO2 and water vapour. Shows what I know.

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
Cool Beans,

Read the box carefully! I was at HD and the boxes on may had a statement on them that said, "Not for use on a boat".

Greg

Nov 22, 2008
the boxes on may had a statement on them that said, "Not for use on a boat".
Anything that burns and does not have a vent to the outside is producing some CO. Even the traditional kerosene lamp can be a problem if the boat is buttoned up tight. Heat Pals, using your cooking stove to take the chill off, etc. can be deadly. Usually, there is enough ventilation and the CO production is low enough that it isn't a problem.

When trying to get warm with a cooking stove that isn't putting out a lot of heat, the temptation is to close everything up tight which lets the CO build up. I've had my Origo set off the CO alarm before when cooking things that took a long time and it was cold out so the ports and hatches were all closed.

CO is produced when there isn't enough oxygen for complete combustion so burning with restricted air supply creates more of it. Thus the rapid build up with the Origo burning under the throttle flap. More oxygen, more CO2 instead of CO. "2" means twice as much "O".

It's surprising there aren't more accidents considering how many non vented heat sources I hear people talking about using.

Nov 22, 2008
As for an alarm, would something like this suffice?
That's the equivalent of what I have. These units are very moisture sensitive so be sure to keep them dry and away from condensation.

I feel pretty good this morning, aside from the slight cold, so the Kidde unit I have warned me well before I was poisoned. The headache may have even been from my sinuses.

Oct 2, 2008
Glad to hear you're OK. A warm towel over your eyes and a cup of peppermint tea for the sinuses.
All U Get

Oct 2, 2008
There is a monitor for measuring CO levels in the blood which became available to fire departments and emergency responders before I retired. It clips on your finger like the O2 sat. monitors giving the amount of CO present. With people using generators for heat, etc in the hurricane aftermath, it's important to remember the dangers of CO. Stay safe.
All U Get

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
All this time I thought no CO emissions was one of the pros about alcohol stoves. Everyone knows propane stoves are big CO emissions sources, not many people realize alcohol is also... guess I will be buying a CO detector for next season now!

Nov 22, 2008
guess I will be buying a CO detector for next season now!
I'm glad to hear there will be a next season for you. I've been wondering how your boat came through.

Are things more or less back to normal there?

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I'm glad to hear there will be a next season for you. I've been wondering how your boat came through.

Are things more or less back to normal there?
Given the photo on the most recent email blast / sbo homepage was the one I posted talking about the only causality at my marina, I figured anyone interested would have gathered Four Points survived fine. We lost power, but it came back on Wed afternoon.

The docks were 6" away from floating off the pilings, but the wind turned just in time and stopped the rest of the tide from coming on and saved us. The docks did get messed up a bit, unknown what it will take to get power and water working again, but nothing too serious.

Actually went sailing yesterday, beautiful fall conditions! Argyle38 and I moved the boat to Stratford where she will remain for the winter. It's roughly a 25nm trip, and we covered about 18 of them with the spinnaker up. Made good time over the whole trip, 5kts, and took 5.5 hours dock to dock. Got a little scared when the coast guard came on the radio with a marine informational broadcast saying that all bridges in Connecticut and new york were closed indefinitely. The marina I winter at is north of the route 1 bridge, but before heading up the river I raised the bridge operator and confirmed he was able to open the bridge for us and everything was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.