WAECO CB-40 cooler

Jun 29, 2014
Hunter e33 Port Sanilac, MI
I am new to the forum; however I have been reading this forum for some time. The question that I have is as follows:
Has anyone installed a WAECO CB-40 drop-in cooler on a Hunter e33 or similar boat? This would be installed in the space where Hunter has installed the small ice chest. There seems to be plenty of room in this cavity. If fact Hunter has sent me some photos of an installation on an older 33' boat.

I would like to hear from other's experience, if any, with this type of an installation.
Thank you
Stan Godlewski

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Hello Stan and welcome to the Hunter forum.

Although I have never personally installed the CB 40 top loading fridge I do have one in my e33. So it does indeed fit the opening of the ice chest. When I took delivery of the boat, the fan was overly noisy. The dealer did not take long to remove, replace the fan and reinstall the fridge so I would assume it is pretty straight forward. On my project list is to install a Waeco CoolPower MP35 Rectifier to allow the fridge to run off of 120v when alongside. Of course because of the top loading the fridge/freezer is much more efficient than the front loader.

Jun 29, 2014
Hunter e33 Port Sanilac, MI
Thanks for the response. The admiral insists that a larger frig is a necessary piece of equipment on the boat.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Ref

We do a lot of cruising for like some times 3 weeks at a time and more ref is very important with me and my wife.
We have a H-36 with front load ref and wish we had easy room for a drop in ref
to add to the front load,I did get a portable Engel ref/freezer and love it but wish I would have had room under counter for drop in ref rather than have this Engel unit laying in the vee berth.
Sounds great if you could put a drop in under the counter and I did get a converter to run the front load on 110 plus 12 volt but had a 110 surge of some kind that damaged the converter and relay for the front load,got a new relay
and now just run the 2 ref on 12 volt and added 2 solar panels and run the 2-ref 24/7 on solar.
Solar Panels are easy to mount off the arch.
Nick

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
Re: Ref

Wow - timing is everything! I'm looking at fridge options for my 37-C right now, and have a couple extra questions:

How does Waeco compare with Dometic, Engel, etc. in quality and, most important, reliability?

Does anyone know if a typical dorm fridge will work if placed on its back so that door opens up like a top-loading fridge?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
I doubt a regular will work if laid on its back. I don' t think the compressor is designed to operate in that position.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
How does Waeco compare with Dometic, Engel, etc. in quality and, most important,
Waeco(Coolmatic) is part of the Dometic Group are synonymous. I don't have much of a history with marine fridges; however, my Waeco (Coolmatic) CB 40, a top loading fridge/freezer, needed a fan motor replacement shortly after taking delivery of the boat due to noise and the Dometic CR1065 was totally replaced after 3 months into service as it ran almost continuously just to keep the inside temp at about 35 deg F in 80 deg F ambient temp. Both have run without issue for the past 20 months.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Just bought reefer from Defender online. It is an Isotherm, specs say only draws .7a. Check them out. Chief

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Amailio please provide your fellow members with a little more detail as to the symptoms rather than simply that your freezer doesn't work.
Is the compressor coming on? If it comes on does it stay on for a period of time? Or maybe it doesn't shut off? You should be able to hear the fan/compressor continuously running when you turn the fridge thermostat to high. Is the temperature of the freezer too high or too low?
Here is the manual for your fridge/freezer CB-40. Page 30 is the start of the troubleshooting (Section 11):
Marlow Hunter Library - CB-40

Apr 8, 2018
Hunter e33 0 Alexandria
The Freezer won't turn on. When we bought the boat a couple of months ago, we were told it tit not work. There is no sound of the compressor turning on. I will look at the manual to see if I can find anything there.