Volvo Shaft Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stan

My Beneteau 361 has a Volvo shaft seal. The shaft seal looks like a single piece of rubber and has no visible adjustment clamps. The spec sheet with the seal suggests adding grease once a year to keep the shaft water tight. There has to be a technique that I haven't yet discovered because getting the grease into the seal by shoving the pointed grease tube in just doesn't work. Any thoughts?

B

ben310

Pinch it!

Stan try pinching the seal. It should open up and let in a little water and allow enough room to get the tip of the grease tube in.This is the biggest long term problem I have had with my Beneteau.

R

Rick I

little thingamajig

Mine came with a little circular plastic thingme that you coat with greae and then insert. It's like a ring that fits around the shaft. Very thin like a margarine tub material.

S

Stan

Shaft seal

I have the thingamigjig as well. do I put the grease on the outside of it and then shove it in?

S

Stan

Grease

That's a great photo of my shaft seal. Any idea where we can get more of that Volvo grease?

R

Rick I

grease

It's just your standard silicone grease, get it from WM, they have their own house brand. Put it on the outside of the thingamajig and slide it under (into) the seal.

B

ben310

Plastic Ring

While coating the instalation ring with grease might work I doubt that you will get the correct amount of grease into the seal.Volo calls for the seal to be pinched as You would to burp it, insert end of tube and squeeze in the correct amount. The amount will vary with the size of the seal. I have replaced these many times in the 14 years I've had my Beneteau.

S

Stan

Shaft seal

Okay, I know how to burp the seal. If I shove the grease tube in how do I know how much is the correct amount?

B

ben310

Grease Amount

Stan I have the spec sheet down at the boat. Will be there later this week. You may have a larger shaft size than my 310 [25mm]. Wil try to post it here as soon as I can

Mar 3, 2004
Beneteau 361 Marblehead
Stan

the grease is not to seal but to lubricate the contact surface between the rubber seal and the shaft. When I received my boat in France they showed me how to put just enough grease to create a thin layer in the contact surface . Just cover with a 1/16 in layer of grease the outside surface of the little circular plastic "thingme", insert it and rotate it half turn to spread the grease. That is all you need to do.

M

Marc

Knocking on wood....

Had my 1993 OC350 for 4 years and do not have the "thingee" and never greased it. I will try with a thin piece of plastic (margrine tub) Now I can't sleep, nightmares!!!! Will my "neglected" boat ever take me back!!!!!!!! Thanks, (I guess :) Marc PS: NEVER mention some type of maintenance I've never heard of again!!!! :)

T

Tim

Why replace it?

I replaced that seal with a PSS Dripless shaft seal last year. I think its a better system than the Volvo. No greasing to worry about. Tim

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 400 Miami
What type of grease

What type of grease should be used to lub the shaft seal... is teflon ok? Thanks,

R

Randall

Prop shaft seal

I bought a used 361 and noticed persistant leaking from the shaft seal. Enough to fill up the depressed area of the hull in that area after a moderate amount of motoring. I applied some high quality, synthetic bearing grease to the seal where the prop shaft enters. Nothing scientific, just "llberally". Leaking stopped completely and has stayed so for two months.

J

Jack

Easier To Remove Seal First Then Grease

This is the second Beneteau that I have owned with the same Volvo seal. There are two 10mm nuts with two 4mm allen bolts holding the clamp around the seal to the shaft tube. Loosen these bolts and slide the seal forward. I only use the approved Volvo grease and shmutz the grease liberaly around the shaft. When I slide the seal back onto the tube shaft, it "scrubs" all the grease and concentrates it near the business end of the seal (where you want it) Nice system, no problems with it. Best Wishes, Jack B 411

S

Stan

Okay so this is going to sound stupid. When you loosen those two bolts and slide the shaft seal forward what keeps the boat from sinking while your doing this. My boat is in the water.

T

Tim

Keeping from sinking

Stan, Although I haven't done this, I've thought about it for an underway replacement in an emergency if a seal fails (I carry the tools needed to do this)... You can loosen the clamp around the seal and have some rags ready at hand, then when you slide the seal fwd you can stuff the rags around the shaft in the gap between the shaft and sterntube. The I.D. of (my) sterntube is only about 1.5", and (my) shaft is 25mm, so the gap isn't huge. Sure, you'll get some water in, but you should be able to stop the inflow enough to grease the shaft and seal from the inside and slide it back and clamp it. Plan to get a little wet, but I don't think you'll sink! Good luck! Tim

T

Tim

one more thing...

Oh yeah, don't forget to remove the rags or whatever you stop the water with prior to sliding the seal back in place! One other note for the thread... FWIW, This volvo seal doesn't seem like it'll work properly unless the engine and shaft are properly aligned. The shaft should enter the sterntube in the center of the opening, otherwise I don't think the seal will ride properly as it has a bearing surface (like a cutlass bearing) aft of the actual seals. FYI, there are two seal "lips" at the front of the unit, then the bearing surface. There doesn't appear to be enough flex in the unit to allow the shaft to be off-center very much. I discovered that the engine on my 321 was not properly aligned when I replaced the volvo seal with a PSS unit. I aligned the engine, installed the PSS anyway, and keep the Volvo as a spare. Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.