Volvo Shaft Coupling Removal

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
I had my boat launched last Friday after a two year on the hard due to major shoulder surgery. It had to be hauled out immediately. The Volvo dripless shaft had rotted away. Now the Shaft Coupling won't come off. My season is over before it even began! I'm determined to get it back in next year.
Any advice on how to get the shaft out to put in a new PSS Seal would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Thetone
image000002.JPG
image000001.JPG
image000000.JPG

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Why a different shaft seal? The volvo is excellent and very low maintenance and inexpensive. Have you greased it every year? Actually looking at your picture you don’t appear to have a volvo dripless seal.
regarding your coupling I wish you luck. Might have to cut it off and replace it……. Think your seal has been leaking bad for a long time.
Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There's lots of work that needs to be done in that area.

The coupling will probably have to be cut along with the prop shaft. It might be easiest to cut the shaft and then remove the transmission with the coupling still attached. Getting it off while sitting on a work bench will be easier. It looks like the flange on the transmission will need to be replaced.

The hoses look old and tired, they should be replaced.

The shift and throttle cables are shot and need to be replaced.

The water inlet does not meet ABYC standards, there should be a flanged base. A ball joint on a through hull fitting is a poor way to fit a through hull.

There's a lot of work to be completed this off season.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Tone,
Agree with @NYSail, that seal is not a Volvo seal. Will take some effort to remove the coupling; you can try penetrating fluid & spray, but I think you will have to get a grinder to cut the nuts that join the coupling to the transmission & then grind the coupling to split it from the shaft. If that fails, you may have to cut the shaft. Looks like new transmission coupling, shaft coupling, shaft seal will be necessary. May as well replace the cutlass bearing, because the shaft will have to be removed to have the new shaft coupling fitted & faced to the shaft at a machine shop. I also like the Volvo shaft seal.
That is a restricted area to work in. Depending on the condition of your shoulder and your desire (or lack of), you may have to get a mechanic to do this job. If a mechanic gets involved, they will likely cut the shaft to remove the coupling for expediency. @dlochner is right on with his recommendations to replace the cables, hoses, & thru Hull fitting.
Good luck & keep us posted. With a bit of luck, you may be able to salvage the remainder of the sailing season.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The shaft seal looks more like a PSS with the SS rotor.

A Volvo seal is a rubber lip seal.

The challenge may be the tranny output flange…if it is as bad as the coupling, the transmission is going to need to replaced (or at least the output flange).

I would start by cutting the shaft and figuring out what to cut to get the coupling separated from the output flange. I assume 4 bolts hold it together. Once the coupling is off, you will have to evaluate the condition of the output flange…

Do you know if the transmission turns?

As others have said, lots of work needed…but it can be done.

best of luck,

Greg

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Thanks for all the great advice. I just replaced all of the rigging. I will try to tackle this on my own since I don't have the money for a mechanic.

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
There's lots of work that needs to be done in that area.

The coupling will probably have to be cut along with the prop shaft. It might be easiest to cut the shaft and then remove the transmission with the coupling still attached. Getting it off while sitting on a work bench will be easier. It looks like the flange on the transmission will need to be replaced.

The hoses look old and tired, they should be replaced.

The shift and throttle cables are shot and need to be replaced.

The water inlet does not meet ABYC standards, there should be a flanged base. A ball joint on a through hull fitting is a poor way to fit a through hull.

There's a lot of work to be completed this off season.
Great advice friend!