Volvo Penta or Yanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2011
Bavaria 50 Panama
Hi, I`have a Bavaria 50, and I'd like to replace the engine a Volvo Penta 110 hp, wich one is a better the Volvo Penta or the Yanmar?.

Thank you all for your adivice.
Nice winds

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
yanmar--you willno tbe sorry with a yannie. i wouldnt be able to trust a volvo, thankyou.
goood luck.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
A couple thoughts on replacing your engine. I own a Bavaria 40 Ocean and I've owned both volvo and yanmar engines. Its usually easier to replace your engine with the same type but not impossible to switch. One thing you might take into account is your sail drive may need to also be replaced if you switch engines (I could be wrong). I did find a link that seems to be an add for a Yanmar adapter for a Volvo. http://tinyurl.com/488abte
I've heard a lot of people complain about sail drives but so far I love mine. Hopefully I didn't curse myself. It does appear the spare parts are a little more expensive. It's a volvo MD22 50 hp. It's well maintained and the sail drive is meticulously maintained as well. Good luck in your quest.

Jun 19, 2010
2003 Bavaria 44 Chesapeake Bay
I had a 13 year old yanmar on my first sailboat and never had a single problem.

My volvo on my B44 which is only 6 years old is nothing but trouble. Sail drive, heat exchanger, exhaust elbow. etc etc etc.

Volvo maintenance in my area (annapolis) is lousy too.

Not at all statistically significant, but that is my experience. If i have to repower and I can choose a yanmar, I will. Based on how "reliable" my Volvo is, I might just get that chance sooner than i should.....

A couple thoughts on replacing your engine. I own a Bavaria 40 Ocean and I've owned both volvo and yanmar engines. Its usually easier to replace your engine with the same type but not impossible to switch. One thing you might take into account is your sail drive may need to also be replaced if you switch engines (I could be wrong). I did find a link that seems to be an add for a Yanmar adapter for a Volvo. http://tinyurl.com/488abte
I've heard a lot of people complain about sail drives but so far I love mine. Hopefully I didn't curse myself. It does appear the spare parts are a little more expensive. It's a volvo MD22 50 hp. It's well maintained and the sail drive is meticulously maintained as well. Good luck in your quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.