volvo mb10a to atomic 4 changeout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2008
Irwin 28 Shark River
Hi - just purchased a 1974 irwin 28 mkII. the previous owner had removed the volvo motor and was going to replace it with an atomic 4. the atomic 4 came with the boat. does anyone have any experience or knowledge of doing this? any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

C

cw tatum

volvo to atomic 4

great engine...my irwin 28 came with the a4...i would not sacrifice the smooth running, easy to maintain, dependability, and fuel economy..versus buying an expensive diesel and smell those fumes....keep the a4

Feb 13, 2008
Irwin 28 Shark River
a4 changeout

thanks for your input. the a4 will probably this coming winter's project. I also have a problem with my centerboard not dropping (separate topic). Can you shed any light here? thanks, Cal

C

clay

center board

i have a irwin 28 also.my cable was broke at the connecting point on the board..check the winch to verify that its slacking the cable. check to make sure the cable and its blocks move freely. check the delrin rod where it passes through its stuffing tube for movement. check the stuffing tube itself that its not too tight...if all these items are ok, then its time to go over the side and see if the cb is stuck in its houseing.. and why,grouth? good luck, im sure youll findthe problem.. clay

Feb 13, 2008
Irwin 28 Shark River
I28 c/b won't drop

thanks for your help. had the boat out last weekend and forced the board down by pulling back hard on the delrin rod - it dropped and went down the second time easier but not without force. boat sails much better with the board down (for obvious reasons). went aboard today and found the well at the c/b junction full of water - hasn't happened before. leaking somewhere, but not drastically. will check tomorrow - any thoughts? thanks, cal

C

C.W. Tatum

CENTER BOARD

sounds like your delrin rod packing gland needs some attention.. check the hose and clamps..have you found a H.I.N. (hull id number) stamped on your Irwin? Ive been told that Irwin didnt stamp H.I.N.s until 1975 or so. Just courious if yours had one...thanks c.w. tatum

C

ctalmage

irwin hin

yes, it does have a hin on the transom.
Any idea where I could get a spring for the ratchet assembly for the centerboard cable? Mine broke last weekend.

W

Wayne Arny

MB10A still available in Norway

I faced a similar problem as you, except my MB10A was still in the boat, but it had finally failed after 25+ years of owning the boat. I loved that engine!! Rather than switching to a diesel, which was outrageously expensive, I replaced it with another 10A!! I found mine, still in the crate, in Canada where the owner had bought it to put in a sailboat he wanted to build but never did. If you're lucky enough to find a good used one, so much the better. BUT, the last time I checked, the engine is still available new in Norway. It may take some research, and I don't have mine anymore, but I found the plant and called them. You may need to find a translator, but it would be cheaper (and better, in my opinion) than converting to diesel. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.