Volvo Engine Glow Plug Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
My 2005 Bavaria 36 has a Volvo MD 2030 (29 Horsepower) engine. In just over a year, I have had to replace the glowplugs 3 times. I am very careful to follow the starting instructions that came with the boat (in the engine Owner's Manual). Has anyone else had similar problems? Any suggestions to avoid future premature failure of the glowplugs? Thanks, Tom Easterbrook Bare Necessities

B

Beverly

Tom - We've had no problems on our Bav 32, but I'm concerned to hear about your problem. How did you know you had to replace it/them, i.e., signs, symptoms? Thanks. Bev Caruso Irresistible

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
What are the symptoms?

Tom, Sounds a little scary. What were the symptoms (other than engine won't start) that led you to the glow plugs? Also would like to know how tough a job it is to do the replacement. Now that its done - any advice to other owners? Ken Johnson 2003 Bavaria 36 - "WindSong"

J

John Aubin

Glow plugs?

I'm curious as to why you need the glow plugs at all. Unless your starting your ingine in very cold temperatures teh compression along should fire off the diesel

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Go to this link

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/Index.cfm?cfapp=6&Forum_ID=81&SearchKey= It will take you to a forum for volvo 20xx series engines.

Oct 1, 2008
Thanks for the Responses

Thanks for the responses. I operate the boat in the Pacific Northwest. The boat was purchased from Yacht Sales West in Vancouver Canada and I moor it in Point Roberts Washington which is a 30 minute drive from Vancouver. The temperature here varies from about 75 to 80 degrees in the summer to a low of about 28 degrees in the winter (the low here is normally above 32). When trying to start the engine (lately at about 40 degrees), it just cranks and sounds good, but does not start. If I crank it longer than say 15 seconds, it will emit a light grey smoke. It does not sound like it even wants to start. The smoke worries me, so I usually stop at this point. As this has happened twice before, I am reasonably sure that it is the same problem as before. I have contacted Volvo Penta Canada, as the engine is still under warranty and they are looking into trying to solve the real problem, not just fix the symptom by just replacing the glow plugs again. Replacing them is not a difficult nor a long job. They are readily accessible near the fuel injectors. I will up this post as Volvo Penta hopefully finds a solution. Tom Easterbrook Bare Necessities

J

jim medley

engines

It sure sounds like a warantee proplem for Volvo. I took delivery of the same engine in May of last year and have about 50 hours on it with no problems whatsoever. I would sure like to hear of the final outcome.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Tom I went to the link that I recommended to you

there is a discussion there concerning the very problem that you have discribed. They traced the cause to improperly adjusted valve clearances.

Feb 5, 2006
- - Wollongong Australia
Glow Plugs

Tom I have the same engine in my Bavaria 34 but have not had any problems in starting. I also use the glow plugs each time I start as per the instruction manual. Our climate would be milder than yours, but I will keep an eye out for any future problems. Regards Bill

Oct 1, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. Finally I am going to get a mechanic look at the engine one week from today. The issue has been that the boat is a Canadian licensed boat (bought from Yacht Sales West in Vancouver) that is now moored in US waters. Volvo Canada cannot and will not send a Canadian mechanic into the US to work. At first, they suggested that I bring the boat to Vancouver. Three problems with that; one, the boat will not start; two, it is an 18 hour round trip; and three, I have no where to moor it in Vancouver once it is there. After much discussion and back and forth, including some talk that Volvo Canada might not honour the warranty because the boat was used in charter for 4.5 months (even though the problem first presented after less than 100 hours on the engine and no one but me had used her), they finally inovolved Volvo of the Americas. They are allowing the folks at Westwind Marine in Point Roberts to do the repair work, even though they are no longer an authorized Volvo diesel repair facility (They used to be.... but that is a long story). I will update, after the mechanic does his magic (I hope). As far as sypmtoms, the engine cranks fine, but shows no sign of firing. The fuel (as visible in my Racor filter) is clear, clean, with no sign of contaminates or water. Being as burnt out glow plugs was the issue the last 2 times this happened, I am reasonably sure they are the cause again. I will let you know. Thanks, Tom Easterbrook Bare Necessities

G

Graham Wood

Bavaria - Volvo glow plugs

Tom; sounds like you are getting help on this; but after reading your article several times; I - like others- find this hard to diagnose. I have however discussed with my fellow diesel instructor who is a time served diesel fitter -on real engines!. Unheard of fault except that the "only" likely possibility is that the glow plugs are NOT being shut off when engine is running - i.e. they are taking full force of heat etc. This could be a wrongly wired ignition switch or faulty cut out control device if there is one. Just a thought. Graham Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.