Volvo dripless shaft seal water hose broke off

Jun 24, 2014
Beneteau 461 Kent Narrows, MD
On my 2000 Beneteau 461 the Volvo dripless shaft seal water hose broke off from the stern tube. The hose clamps corroded and when I tried to pull of the hose the barb connection piece came off. Water gushed in from the tube hole. I blocked it off and attached putty around the wooden peg. But now how do I replace the barbed hose attachment ? Do I have to replace the whole tube ?? It looks like it is permanent fiber glassed in all the way underneath the fuel tank. Is the stern tube fiberglass ?
Any help is very much appreciated
Thanks
Peter "Belvedere"
Anchorage Marina, Inner Harbor Baltimore, MD

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Congratulations Peter you just earned yourself a short haul while you epoxy a new shaft nipple into place. The guys at Annapolis Yacht Sales have the part kit including epoxy. This is a neglected maintenance item - the nipple should be replaced every 3 years or so during your regular haul to avoid the hassle of having this problem.

Jun 24, 2014
Thank you for the quick reply.
I am not sure how far I can motor without the cooling water on the shaft.? I will contact Tidewater in Baltimore and see if they can do it.
By "replacing the nipple every 3 years" do you mean glassing in a new one ?
Thanks again
Peter "Belvedere"
484-437-3262

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
A short motor at low speed should be OK. Normally the nipple unscrews from the fiberglass shaft tube - you then epoxy in a new one. Not a complicated job but you have to be out of the water. Take a look at your cutlass bearing while you have it out.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My B323 has that tube, also. I'd think if it lasted him 16 years, re-doing it every three is uncalled for. I'm sure others will chime in. Hey, Peter, if you are going to the meeting on Jan 14th, I can pick up that kit at AYS and bring it along. Teri Lyn.

Jun 24, 2014
Hi Ron,
I should have known SOS to the rescue. ! I will let you know, Thank you.
Not sure yet if I will attend the skippers meet. I will call AYS and Tidewater and get a quote. I am not good with epoxy work.
Cheers
Peter

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, my shaft nipple was probably 12 years old when someone told me it was a regular replacement item! If you are on the hard this is a $25 dollar DIY fix, if you are in the water it becomes a much more expensive / extensive effort.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Anyone have a link to a source for the "maintenance kit"?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Normally the nipple unscrews from the fiberglass shaft tube - you then epoxy in a new one. Not a complicated job but you have to be out of the water.
Hey gunni.... if you unscrew the nipple then epoxy new one back in, how do you change in the future? New one doesn't just screw back in place?? Would love to do this on my new to me 423......

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I know that water tube is an accident waiting to happen. Though its probably a necessity on a stinkpot, I wonder how important it really is on a slow cruising sailboat. Seems like enough water would come through the cutlass bearing and up the shaft tube on a Beneteau to serve the purpose.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
You just grab the old one with a pair of channel-locks and twist it out. Unless you coated the threads with wax or release cmpd you are going to bring off some of the epoxy sealant with the old nipple. Epoxy it back and let it set up before reconnecting the hose.

I was under the assumption that a dripless seal shaft system is vented at both ends to allow thru-flow of cooling water. Mine has a scoop intake.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Water is needed on the bearing faces to keep them cool. It rises up the open prop shaft opening. On sailboats the vent is designed to not allow an air bubble to develop and insulate the faces.

On faster boats the water in pumped in under pressure because the high speed of the boat does not allow it to flow in up the shaft.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="DougM, post: ..., I wonder how important it really is on a slow cruising sailboat. Seems like enough water would come through the cutlass bearing and up the shaft tube on a Beneteau to serve the purpose.[/QUOTE]

"Through" is the key word here. Water will not come in unless it has a place to go out. On boats with a strut, the water can go in the front of the bearing and out the rear. Not so on a boat like our B323s

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
I know this is an old thread, but can you tell me what sort of hose can I use for that nipple? Can I use normal hose for water?
My boat is out of the water now and since I am changing the nipple I would like to replace the hose too.
Thanks

Jun 24, 2014
Yes, a normal thick black hose. I would not use a clear plastic water hose. Because of the temperature changes and vibrations behind the engine a strong hose is recommended and double clams of course.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I had a Bene 35s5. Awesome boat. It had an older version Volvo dripless without a water fitting. Every time you put her back in the water you just needed to Burp the dripless by pushing back the tube at the top and letting a bit of water in. Never had a problem but I did always burp it after heavy seas or heavy reversing.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have owned sailboats for over 35 years and used nothing but a packing gland shaft seal. Never had a problem, not once. Including my newest Hunter 44 DS. I have read nothing but tales of worries from owners of these "dripless" shaft seals. Is this technology for technology's sake? Better is the enemy of good enough.

TheZ3

Jun 3, 2024
Beneteau 323 Old Hickory Lake
I re-installed the nipple while in the water after it just snapped off. I removed the dripless and slid it up the prop shaft, allowing water from the stern tube to enter. Run the manual bilge to under the motor and have a volunteer pump. I was able to dry the socket, insert the cleaned off original nipple and used JB Weld Water-Weld. It's a putty that you kneed to activate then press into place.
I reinstalled the dripless after about 30 minutes. It will cure under water. Several months later it's holding fine.