VHF license

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

br smith

Will be leaving for the Bahamas in late Feb. and understant that a VHF radio license is no longer required in the US , but how about the Bahamas?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
hard to imagine

It's hard to imagine anything much in the way of documentation being required in the Bahamas, besides maybe a cold Kalik. My hunch is that no license is required, but I'll defer to one of the Bahamas regulars...

B

br smith

Aircraft

I flew my C-185 over a few years ago and one was required then, hope thats changed because I don't have one.

B

Bob Bass

No Way, Mon!

We have made three trips in the last two years and it is our understanding that no license is required for VHF. That may be different for SSB or Ham. Be sure to tune in on VHF 68 at 8:15 for the Cruisers Net each day and do not use 16 for hailing other cruisers. VHF 16 is commercial and emergencies. Get Steve Dodge's cruising guide and study it before going or while crossing the bank. Drink a Kahlik for me. If you have any other questions, you can email me through the owner's directory. Bob Bass Toucan Dream H-450

G

Gerry Hull

U.S. LAW AND FORIEGN CRUISING

It's not the Bahamian Law we are talking about . Its U.S. F.C.C. regulations. I read the law a while back when the requirement for U.S. pleasure vessels to register their VHF's was dropped. It was dropped with the exception of yachts making foreign voyages. This obviously includes the Bahamas. So if you want to be correct call the F.C.C. and see if the requirement is still in force. I believe it is although probably not actively enforced unless there is an incident of some sort. Then watch out !

G

Gene Gruender

License is required.

Yes, you do need a license. If you communiate with a foriegn port you must have the station license. I can say that in two trips to the Bahamas, staying for a total of about 6 months, we were never asked for one, but that doesn't mean the next time we won't. You also have to think about being boarded by the USCG along the way. They are probably your bigger concern. They are out there, they do stop and board boats like ours. Although it seems to me it's a ripoff, I would recomend having one. When you apply, be sure to check that you want a license for EVERYTHING. You may not have a radar now, but the thing is good for 10 years. If in the future you get something not listed on your license, you must buy another. There is no penelty or extra charge to list extra things on the license. Gene Gruender Rainbow Chaser http://www.geocities.com/thetropics/cabana/7414

B

Bob Bass

Clarification

When I said that no license is required in the Bahamas, I was referring to a Bahamian license. The previous postings are correct concerning US boats in foreign countries. In any case, one should go ahead and get the US station license and when you do, check all the boxes (SSB, radar, EPIRB, etc.) just in case of future use.

P

Paul Bednarzyk

License

Seems to me that there was a thread 12-18 months ago about the FCC having a site to apply for a license electronically. Am I correct in this and does anyone have the URL. By the way Gene, good to here from you as I have been following you travels on your website. Thanks. Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
FCC Link: www.fcc.gov/

..I just applied. $115. Need form 506 and 159. The on-line application gave me a headache, so I just printed out the forms and sent 'em in. You don't need one if you are in the US, for VHF, EPIRB or radar, but you can get one on a voluntary basis if you prefer (I did). Rick D.

B

br smith

Thanks

thanks for the info,suppose I will apply for one , want receive it time, leaving on the 23rd, but what the hay. again thanks for the help.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
br smith..re: no VHF in time..

..the on-line forms include a self-serve temporary license. RD

Status
Not open for further replies.