VHF Cable Location?

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Hi All:

I bet some of you northerners are biting at the bit to get those sails up.

Got a question about the VHF cable. I'm re running a new cable from the stepped mast plate back to the radio. Any idea where the cable goes. Is it through the ceiling or down the support pole and through the bilge some where. :confused:

Cheers
2 OLD PIRATES

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Through the bilge

I recall there is some sort of adapter in the bilge as well.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
The cable exists the mast at the deck place and runs through a very tight conduit with a 90 degree turn at the bottom. (pulling the new cable is not fun). Then you have your connections in the bilge. Some people are lucky enough to have a plate at the bottom of the mast extrusion and the connection is behind the little plate. These are the lucky ones as you can replace the cable without pulling it all out, and don't have your critical connections in the bilge. Also you will not have to remove the connector and pull the wires every time you wish to unstep the mast. At one point, in one discussion, someone (lack of details and memories here) was looking into if it was save or advisable to add such a access point after the fact. Point is check the base of your mast first if you have the plate and access hole, your 80% there.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
At one point, in one discussion, someone (lack of details and memories here) was looking into if it was save or advisable to add such a access point after the fact. Point is check the base of your mast first if you have the plate and access hole, your 80% there.
That was me. I have talked to several people at this point including the following: Maine Sail; Northeast Rigging (local rigger with good reputation); someone who works at Hall Spars. Maine Sail was hesitant about cutting the mast due to weakness. Northeast Rigging was adamant that I should do this before we head out cruising in case a repair was needed. The person from Hall Spars (friend of a friend who works there and check with technical people) was neutral. They didn't think it was a good idea or a bad idea. A bunch of their deck stepped masts have access panels for wiring. But they are primarily carbon fiber sticks now.

My next step is to contact Charleston Spar (I believe they made the mast) and see if I can get an answer out of them.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Thanks Jess, yes that was you!

As an engineer by profession and education I can not see a strength of material issue if: the access hole added was round, and at least a full dia up from the bottom. I say round only because putting in a square opening could (could) give a split or crack a line to propagate along and split all the way to the bottom (weakening the mast) or up and up...

This is only an opinion seeing I do not have cross sectional data on the mast or material specifications. It would be nice for someone with the legal department to represent them to make the call. (I'll be that reason for the one not good / no bad response)

It will be interesting to have the final answer...

Russ

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
2 OLD PIRATES

The first four photos show removing the mast and showing why I could not

pull the antenna cable up or down for repair.....da drip loop:cussing:

The other photos show installing new antenna and lighting cables

with out drip loop.

I put a new VHF radio on the steering pedestal and ran a new cable from top

of mast to radio on the pedestal.

paulj
:troll:

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I tracked down a photo of the crappy VHF connection in the bilge. I have purchased stuff to redo this connection but haven't gotten to that part of the project yet.
Suggestion - from the appearance of the PL259s, I'd be very surprised if moisture hasn't penetrated the coax.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Well guys thanks for all your input. The installation was a dream job. :dance:Everything went really smoothly. My cable was in the bilge but all the wires and cable are attached to the underside of the flooring well above and set in a little from the bilge. No moisture problem.:D

Cheers
2 OLD PIRATES

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
What did you use to attach the wires to the floor well outboard of the bilge?
Our wires lay alongside the well but do not get wet and we are NOT in salt water.
We have a "DRY" boat so we have not had to the problem of any of the wires laying in the bilge water or being close. Thanks