VHF antenna and mount , on mast? Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph Massimino

I want to mount a VHF antenna on my Catalina 22. The guy at West Marine sold me a Shakespear stand-off mount that can't be mounted to my mast because the mast isn't wide enough. He also sold me a Shakespear fiberglss vhf antenna. The antenna might be fine, but I don't see a way to mount it on the mast. I looked at the other sail boats in the marina and I didn't see too many that had any kind of antenna I could see. I did see one that had what looked like a base loaded whip that you would find on a car, but mounted at the very top of his mast. What is the usual antenna to buy for mount on a sail boat? Where is the coax ran? Thanks to all you reply.. Joe

G

My suggestion for a C22

Run your wire into the stern rail (from inside). Drill a hole into the rail so the wire comes out. Mount a whip antenna (either fiberglass or the smaller metal ones that are about a couple feet long and very thin)using a clamp onto the rail.

D

Dick of Sylvan

Mount

Regarding the response to mount it on the stern rail, I would say that is fine if you are sailing in lakes, but I wonder about ocean sailers? Since VHF is mostly line of sight it only takes several miles offshore before the earth's curvature gets other small boats over the horizon.

J

Joseph Massimino

The solution I came up with today.

Today I asked a few sailors at work about this. The antenna they suggested was a Metz, 3DB gain at the top of the mast. I bought the Shakespear 5241R, and a mount for the top of the mast. It wil be a trick getting it up there.

K

ken

another suggestion

Joe............................... I would recommend for sure..... that you mount your antenna at the very top of the mast.............. your range (line of sight) will be greatly enhanced. You don't need a fancy mount for a VHF antenna. Last winter I installed a new VHF using a piece of angled metal (corner brace will work..... 75 cents at Home Depot) Drill some holes for the antenna and a hole to screw it to the mast.... your done. Make sure you use 50 ohm cable............ not the 75 ohm that you use for your tv hookup. Run the cable through the mast to a thru deck fitting...... another run of cable to your radio..........Yes........ you will have to drop your mast to do it.............. but it will be worth it. Good luck!!

J

Joseph Massimino

Thanks Ken.

Ken, How difficult is it to drop the mast in a marina? I think it will be tough. Is there a way I could put a foot loop in the halyard and have someone pull me up the mast with the winch? It will be difficult to drop the mast without it landing on another boat. The only other thing I can think to do is get close to a low bridge where my mast will be able to be reached from land. I guess you can tell that I am a novice when it comes to sail boats.

K

ken

antenna

Joe............................ Trying to attach an antenna while the mast is upright is pretty dangerous. Only way to go that I see .....is by dropping the mast. With 2 people it is pretty easy. Besides.......your boat is not going to be in the water forever....... it would be good practice to unstep the mast once in a while. Anyway........ that's just my opinion.................. maybe someone else on the list may know a different way. Good luck and have a wonderful weekend! ken in sacramento

J

Jim

Drop it right there

If you are in a sheltered marina you can easily drop the mast with one other person to help you. I have done htis several times in my slip. You need about 8 feet of clearance behind you plus the length of your antenna. Take the boom and boom vang off the mast and pu tbelow out of your way. Free up the halyards so you can easily move the mast forward once it is unstepped. Release the forward lower stays, put all the hardware in your pocket before it drops in the drink. Loosen the bolt at the base of the mast and have it ready to pull through the hole (not yet). Take any tension off the back stay. Release the forestay while your freind pushes the mast foreward. Your freind walks the mast back while you hang on to the forestay. Your freind carefully steps down to the seats from the cabin top. You press down on the base of the mast to relieve the tension, and pull out the bolt. The base of the mast will want to come up. You balance the base while the freind walks to the back of the mast, sliding the mast along their shoulder. You take the mast forward as this is done. When your freind gets to the spreaders they will have to lift the mast above their head to get on the other side. Pick a stong friend! To gain access to the top of the mast, bring it all the way forward about 4 feet past the bow pulpit. This will make you real popular with the others trying to walk up and down the dock. They will yell at you so it is best to have some snappy insults ready for this moment. Leave the mast here for a while as you and your freind go off to find liquid refreshment. Come back with a drill and drill an elongated hole (use an elongated drill bit) at the base of the mast and another at the top to let the cable in and out. Catalinas are supposed to have a black band somewhere near the top of the mast and near the boom. Now is a good time to put those on. Now what were we doing? Oh yes, attach your antenna bracket. I drilled and tapped some holes in the casting at the top of the mast to mount mine. Make sure you leave room for your wind vane to clear the antenna else you will never know which way the wind is coming from and you will have to sail by the seat of your pants and you will look pretty silly with your butt pointing up in the air trying to sense the wind direction. Connect your cable to the antenna. By the way, did you hear about the two antennas that got married? Lousy wedding but great reception! Ok where were we? It's time to raise the mast so walk it back and try not to get the stays caught on the winches cause it jerks the heck out of you and your friend's arms. Put the base in the step and try to remeber what you did with the bolt while your friend struggles to hold up the mast. Now is a good time to provide some encourage ment to your friend if they are still with you. Once the bolt is through have the freind push the mast up while you pull on the forestay. If the mast does not go up straight its because one of the other stays or a halyard in caught on something. Now is not a good time to find this out. Fasten the forestay, put the nut on the step bolt, put the forward lowers back together (remember the lok washers or nuts. Now you need to tune your rigging. But that is another story for another time. Jim

J

Jim Winjum

Great story - "Drop it..."

I really enjoyed the story and info. You must be someone who's been there. It's always tense, always funny - at least to others. Thanks!

D

Dave LaPere

Factory Installed

I loved the long story ,we need to share more of these. I am sure each of us has them. When I ordered my new Mark II 2000, Catalina was doing exactly what was suggested earlier and that is drilling the stern rail and mounting the antenna on the rail which is ok and I'm sure works for line of sight. However if you are on the ocean, or Great lakes and going out of sight of land I would prefer running the cable inside the mast using a fish tape to insure not fouling it up on the internal halyards and other wiring already in the mast. For me a hand held VHF works best, and I can be anywhere on the boat to use it. Since most of my sailing is done within sight of land, it has not yet been a problem for me. Happy sailing :) Dave

D

D. Doyle

been there

I recall the first time we deceided to drop the mast. We followed all of the steps up to the point where I unbuckled the forestay. I handed it to my girlfriend while I proceeded to look for a line to tie to the end. Within seconds I heard "whoa, whoa...honey..." and turned just in time to grab hold of the cable and then suffer cable burns as it slipped through my hands at a high rate of speed. Fortunately, the friction I applied was enough to at least slow the mast so it only bounced a couple of times when it contacted the cabin top. The top cleared the bow of the boat in the oppisite slip by 2 inches (fortunately the owner was not around). I followed advice I got either from this site or Catalina Direct and installed 1/2" PVC conduit inside the mast. Using a wire bent with a hook in the end to pull the conduit tight to the mast wall and a rivit gun ($10.00 at the hardware store) I secured the conduit every 4' (requires drilling two holes side by side 1" apart every 4'). The conduit provided a safe place for both my antenna coax as well as wire for my anchor light (two birds one set of injured hands) and assured that I wouldn't have to do it all over again when the wires chafed. The only thing I would have done different was to end the conduit at least 6" from each end to leave room for the wire to exit the mast. It was kind of tough to cut it after it was pop-rivited.

Status
Not open for further replies.