very tight forward and reverse linkage

4hand

Jan 19, 2015
c&c 25 Lake Norman
1982 Zephyr sail drive with very tight forward and reverse linkage. needs adjustments any ideas?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I would first suspect the cables. I would disconnect them from the motor and if still tight, lube or replace them.

4hand

Jan 19, 2015
c&c 25 Lake Norman
thank you I will try this. this problem happened quickly. do you think the shift lever could have someway become unseated inside the the motor? replace may be the answer. thanks

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
It's almost always the cable, but I've heard not good things about those sail drives, so it could be internal. Like caguy said, disconnect the cable from the drive, if its still stiff, disconnect from the shifter. That will isolate the three possible sources. Hope its the cable, they're kind of disposable anyway

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
It's almost always the cable, but I've heard not good things about those sail drives, so it could be internal. Like caguy said, disconnect the cable from the drive, if its still stiff, disconnect from the shifter. That will isolate the three possible sources. Hope its the cable, they're kind of disposable anyway
FYI you can find them at a good price on Ebay. I replaced mine when I needed longer ones to reach the OB.

4hand

Jan 19, 2015
c&c 25 Lake Norman
Caguy - I am considering changing from the sail drive to and outboard. people in my area do not know sail drives and hate the tight quarters when working on it. the outboard route may be the most cost effective over the long haul. you mentioned above you have cables reaching your outboard. I assume you have the controls for the outboard in the cockpit. this is my interest as well. I would like to know the details. I have several questions about the connection process at the motor. thanks

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Caguy - I am considering changing from the sail drive to and outboard. people in my area do not know sail drives and hate the tight quarters when working on it. the outboard route may be the most cost effective over the long haul. you mentioned above you have cables reaching your outboard. I assume you have the controls for the outboard in the cockpit. this is my interest as well. I would like to know the details. I have several questions about the connection process at the motor. thanks
I will be3 soiling tomorrow and will take picture of the set up. I could not find cable with both ends that were compatible so I Gerry Rigged the control end. Has worked well for the last 5 years.