Vertglas or similar product REMOVER?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

I have vertglas, ploly glow or some similar product on my hull sides. When I restriped the boat last spring, I cleaned the area with acetone before putting on the new stripes. Well, the vertglas came off and now there is about a foot section down both sides of the boat that show exactly where I took off the vertglas. Anyway, I am trying to remove the rest of it and start over with just wax. I got a bottle of vertglas remover and used that on one side but there still remains some stubborn areas that need more attention. Anyone ever tried to get this stuff off? Do I need to wet sand the sides or can I use something else? Looking for ideas and something easy and not expensive. Thanks for your help. Craig

J

John K Kudera

REMOVER

Hi, I did the same as you, I found that lacquer thinner will remove most of the New Glass, or Vertiglass. I found using the lacquer thinner was not as easy as acetone, but I believe it is easier on the hull, I followed the thinner with white rubbing compound, applied with a buffer, followed by two coats of wax. The hull still has shading variances, but it shines great. Not an easy job, but I felt it was better than getting the hull painted. J Kudera S/V 50/50

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Ace Hardware brand acrylic floor finish remover

Will take it off...in fact, it's the only thing I know of that will remove products like New Glass and Vertglas. I used one of them on my boat once...never again. When new, it was everything the maker claimed it to be...but everything has a lifespan, and when it had to come off it was the worst job I've ever encountered in all my years of owning boats. From then on, I'll wax and buff..

Status
Not open for further replies.