Venture 21, Worst Case Senarios??

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kenn Lewis

I am very interested in learning about the worst case senarios experienced by owners of Venture 21; knock-downs, full capsizings, sinkings (Heaven Forbid ! ), what happened to cause the event and how the boat responded. Also experience with the actual strength of the hull ( does seem a bit "flexi-flyer" ) in either very rough seas or significant impact. I now sail a restored V-21 (#1484),(after over 10 joyous years I had to sell my Islander Bahama, she was in the Chesapeake and I now live 500 miles away) which had lain for almost a decade a forest canopy with no protection, the cockpit had accumulated so much leaf decay it looked as if it had been filled with mulch and there was a sizable lake in the cabin with swimming creatures. Gutted the cabin and rebuilt to suit me ( not the first time I have done this by far!, just ask my ever tolerant wife) Can be reached via the forum or at kennlewis@midohio.net . Thanks for your time and efforts.

D

D Berube

My 22

When I first got my Venture 22, she had areas in the hull that you could push in and out. Quite weak. However I went inside and put some wooden ribbing, with some 2 by 2s, opposite the weakened fiberglass, and now she is the strongest boat I have ever had. I fiberglassed the ribbing in, and the ribs take up no room at all! The 22 is supposed to be unsinkable as she is loaded with foam flotation. As to your other questions, well I cant say, about the 21, but I love my 22!

J

Jim Hughes

V-21

I've got a 1974 V-21.First sailboat.Trailers well( maybe because of being light,thin hull) Being new to sailing,I got knocked down,to where the lake came in over the the side into the cockpit. The sails dumped the wind and the boat came right back up.Didn't even get wet,other then our feet.On windy days, it seems to be over powered (to much sail?) I'm getting better at controling the sails,which means less heel. Hopefully this well start to come together better,but you know how new adventures are,they are adventures. Hope you enjoy your boat. Jim

L

Linda Hoffecker

Trailers that fit diff Macs......

I have purchased an '83 21' MacGregor that is w/out a trailer. (Well, the one w/it is so rusty I wouldn't trust hauling an inlatable dinghy). I am planning to borrow the bunk trailer that was w/the 22' Mac (1977) that I'd sold to a friend. However, the dockmaster at the marina where I am going to keep the Mac 21 said that the 22ft one may not fit the 21ft boat. Now, I am very concerned as I don't want to ruin my second 'venture' at sailing as the first time around, I was too timid to sail, but motored a lot!This time, I was told to grit my teeth, gird my loins and just do it! I will, but I don't want a broken boat! Any help out there? Thanks!

J

Jim Hughes

trailers

Linda,I would think that trailering your boat to the water on the 22ft. trailer would be fine with the flat bunks.My V-21 hangs 3ft. over the back of the bunks.As long as the bunks aren't spread a whole lot more apart and seem to look close to the same as your rusted trailer,I'd say go for it. I just put new bunk boards and carpet on my trailer.My boards were 9ft.long.I put 10ft. on to help support the back of the boat better. Best of luck to you. Jim

A

Art T

best Venture of all

I bought my first V-21 in 1969. It was my first boat. This summer, I bought another V-21 - hull 2347 - which I am in the process of restoring and preparing for PHRF racing. For me, the boat was a huge confidence builder. I went through just about every kind of situation you want to name, including being twenty miles from home and nailed by a fierce squall ahead of a cold front that drove me onto a lee shore where there was no choice except to anchor. I then spent the night there using up every last shred of cloth aboard to keep the rode from chafing to threads. This was on Lake Ontario. I'm not kidding about this. Picture me crawling up onto the foredeck at two in the morning, in six foot rollers, towel in hand, then struggling to pull in enough anchor line to relieve the chafed spot and wrap the towel around the new contact point. Through all this, the V-21 behaved herself, hardly 'hunted' at all, and didn't try to kill me very hard. Yes, in learning, I took plenty of knockdowns - until I figured out it was a good idea to keep the mainsheet in my hands all the time when the wind was up. I nicknamed it 'the alarm'. One time, a friend was out with me and we got blasted. The cockpit half filled with water. "Hey, Art," he says as he clings to the high side, his feet in the freakin lake. "This is FUN!" Of course, he WAS home from Viet Nam on a psychiatric discharge and later went back to a VA hospital - where he probably still is. My first boat was masthead rigged and had all four sails - including the chute. I recommend this configuration because it is very very fast. The V-21 was the first Roger MacGregor design, and from a performance standpoint (in my opinion) the best of all his boats. Oilcanning - The V-21 hull is extremely stiff along the longitudinal plane. This is due to the long keel trunk. The solidity extends to the beginning of the curve of the chine, then the laminate thins and you might observe some deflection where the boat meets the forward ends of the bunks. I've owned quite a few boats. They were all the same. They're stiff where the need to be, and flexible where they need to be. As long as it keeps the water out, not a problem IMHO. There's danger of the plywood underlaying the decking becoming saturated. THAT'S a problem. If you've got it there's nothing to do but dig the old stuff out, replace it with modern foam, and glass over it. I'd say you've got a great little boat. Get rid of the two-cent rigging, run the halyards inside the spar, put the spreaders 60% up from the deck and shorten them so the shroud is straight under pressure and you've got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.