Vent on freshwater tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Judy Kilroy

The vent on the freshwater tank on our newly acquired '82 Catalina 38 is below the level of the deck-fill. SO, when we fill the tank to deck-level, we know the tank is full, but lots of water came out the vent, which is inside the starboard locker in the forward cabin. Is this the case in all the 38's ? who has a fix ?

R

Rodney Kidd

Vent on '85 Catalina 38

Judy, The water tank vent on my C-38 (1985 model) is in the starboard lifeline stanchion right above the starboard locker in the saloon. The stanchion should have a hose barb welded to the bottom and the barb should protrude through the deck and into the locker. If the stanchion was replaced with a new one at some point in the boat's life, the replacement may not have the barb fitting welded to the bottom. BTW, the holding tank vent uses the same setup in the port locker. If the stanchion is missing the barb, maybe Catalina could supply a modified stanchion, or maybe a vent through hull could be mounted to the hull inside the locker and the hose attached to the new vent fitting. Rodney Kidd, C-38 #297, Flying Bear

J

John Foy

Venting

I had the same problem on my 1980 model C-38. From our local marine store in Alameda, CA I obtained a plastic fitting for the top of the tank, tubing and a stainless fitting which I installed through the deck. I connected them and now the tank vents like a champ. I do have some concerns that in heavy going seawater may find it's way into the tank. I believe some duct tape over the outside fitting will take care of this problem. John Foy "Chanteuse" C-38 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.