Vent line for potable water tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neal

Does every one have this problem? In the cabinet where the fill line goes through the deck on the port side, there is the fill line and the vent line for the potable water tank. When you fill the tank, or when the tank is on the full side and the boat is rolling a bit water comes out the vent line all over the contents of this cabinet. I was wondering if anyone put a check valve in the line to eliminate this or dealt with it in some other way (besides only filling the tank halfway) I understand it is not normal to vent this tank outside through the hull to prevent contamination. Thoughts?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Vent it to the outside

That's the "normal" way it's done, the way it's done on 99.9999999% of boats, and the only thing that makes any sense. The risk of contaminating your water via the vent line is smaller than your risk of catching something by breathing in the same air. The vent line should have an arch in it and the vent thru-hull be designed to prevent taking on water when the boat is heeled. A check valve won't work, because air has to be able to flow through the vent line both directions--out the vent when you fill the tank, in when the pump pulls water out of the tank.

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Vents to the Outside-Vents to the Inside

Neal; Peggy is 100% correct...most boats you will see do vent over board as she describes.I have seen the vents done inside,but they were run high up at the headliner in the centerline by the mast. Heeling in any direction will not put the water tank at a high enough angle to cause water to exit the vent tube.I turned mine[over board vented] at a 45 degree angle aft and covered it with a clam shell to allow the sea water flow to go aft and not up the vent in case of a knockdown or sailing rail down.Perko makes a vent with a plastic splash guard on it.Perko #0506DP4CHR or @ your friendly WEST Marine store @ #281360[$16.79] Cheers- CaptHawk ROGUEWAVE

N

Neal

Vents to the Outside-Vents to the Inside

I wonder why Seidelmann didn't vent it outside. How far below the rail did you mount yours. Did you arch your vent hose to the top of the locker then out through the side?

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Outside Tank Vent

Neal; I have no idea why your vent was done that way...mine was not.My vent is about 3-4" below the toe rail.Yes, you do need to put a loop in the hose going upward straight from the vent, then down.Any water which may come into the vent will more than likely drain back out before it makes it to the top of the loop.Chances of getting any sea water into your fresh water tank are slim and none. Cheers- CaptHawk

S

Skipper Fred

Vent line

Both my previous S30T and present S34 have the vent line straight up from the tank to a couple inches below the rail. Since 1985 I have only overfilled twice with minor water down the back of the cabinet. I fill the tank to approx. 1" from top of tank and not aware (any evidence) of ever having water out of the vent when heeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.