VDO Multifunctional Display: Batteries, water and fuel levels

Nov 7, 2018
Beneteau 34 Kingston, Lake Ontario
We have a Beneteau 34, 2009 which we bought at the end of the 2021 season. This boat has a Siemens VDO Multifunction Display for batteries, water and fuel levels. It is a Beneteau specific display that was used in a number of Beneteau models. I've included a couple of photographs:
PXL_20221108_171037845.jpg PXL_20221108_170301402.jpg
At the end of last season, just before moving the boat to it's winter haul-out marina I had the 12 volt panel lowered so I could run a wire for a new holding tank monitor. When I was shutting the boat down to leave it for the week I went to check the display for all the levels (particularly the voltages) and there was no display at all. I have checked to see if it was plugged in properly and if it had the voltage on the board but have been unable to discover the problem. I had someone else look at it but still no solution, so I decided it had died and hence I have been trying to source the unit.
In trying to source the unit I found a post in another SBO forum and it used the word "fading" about the display. This makes me wonder if when I had the 12 volt panel lowered I inadvertently altered the contrast and brightness levels such that I can't see them. I will have to reinstall the VDO display and wait until the batteries are re-installed after winter storage to see if that is the case. Or I could go to the boat with a small booster battery to check it out.
Has anyone any experience or advice with troubleshooting this VDO multifunction display?

I am having difficulty finding a replacement. I am trying to get logged in to Beneteau USA Parts and am working with my local dealer, but this is proving to be very slow.
Does anyone know where I might find a replacement unit?

Also associated with this Siemens VDO multifunction display I have found the accuracy of the fluid levels very poor and have calibrated the water levels to understand what the actual level will be based on the display reading. The diesel tank is more difficult because I don't want to run out of diesel trying to find the empty level of the tank, or cause an overflow trying to get the full level. I found some useful discussion on the cruisers forum about cleaning and adjusting the tank sensors which is probably more appropriate for the water tanks than the diesel tank.

Beneteau Oceanis Electrical Panel - Faults? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
In preparation for a short 2 day voyage in protected waters I checked the fuel and water on board via the standard VDO electrical panel installed in the Oceanis range of yachts (mine is a 2007 Oceanis
www.cruisersforum.com

Any help would be welcome.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The Beneteau spare parts site does list that insert and has it available, part number 156278 for $530. You might be able to just ask your dealer for that part. Ultimately they’ll be the one fulfilling the order anyway. If they’re not responsive to a parts request you could check another dealer too.

We had ours replaced in 2018 after a nearby lightning strike. Our yard charged $575 for the part and $198 for the labor. Not sure where they sourced the part.

The water level sensors do work differently than the fuel sensor. The water sensors are digital, providing a stepped voltage back to the panel based on how many sensors are submerged. The fuel sensor is just a variable resistor modulated by the float. In my experience they are both ok for getting a qualitative sense for how much liquid remains, but are not precise to a specific number of gallons. For fuel we basically ignore it and just count engine hours, with a constant burn of 0.7 gallons per hour for our 37 with 3YM30, usually cruising at 2800 RPMs.

This is the picture of the part on the Beneteau site -

1677120540017.png

Nov 7, 2018
David, Thanks for this most informative post. It's great to have the part number for the display and to know that it is currently available. I now have to wake up my dealer! Without a working display I feel as if I'm operating the boat in the dark and I want to have a working display when the boat gets back in the water.

Your information on the fuel sensor is very helpful. Our 34 has a Yanmar 3YM30 so I can use your calibrated burn rate as I haven't been able to calibrate mine yet. Unfortunately since we have had the boat our engine hours readout has been intermittent. I enquired about replacing it and found that the whole Yanmar instrument panel has to be replaced at a cost of $450. I didn't think that the engine hours was such a critical piece of information so have been looking for a cheaper alternative such as adding a separate hours run panel.

May 17, 2004
I know another 34 owner who also had the hour display go out. He got some sort of vibration based hour meter that I think just stuck on the engine and recorded its hours from when it’s shaking. A bit like the old style hip worn pedometers. Not sure how accurate it is in the long term but it seemed pretty good in a trip I joined them for. I’ve also seen instructions on how to repair those LCD’s for the most common type of failure that makes the display unreadable. Google Yanmar LCD fix and you should see some videos on that. I haven’t had to try that myself but it might be worth looking into.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
"...Unfortunately since we have had the boat our engine hours readout has been intermittent. I enquired about replacing it and found that the whole Yanmar instrument panel has to be replaced at a cost of $450. I didn't think that the engine hours was such a critical piece of information so have been looking for a cheaper alternative such as adding a separate hours run panel.
Can you post a photo of your engine panel, or alternately, let us know what Yanmar engine panel you have? Engine hour display issues are common and in some cases can be resolved very inexpensively with a DIY approach. Let us see what you're working with and we might be able to help on that front. My 2009 Hunter 36 with a 3YM30 had exactly that problem, and I was able to replace it with an aftermarket engine hours display myself. I helped another friend with a Hunter 41DS do the same thing. I'm not super handy, and it was reasonably easy. your Beneteau may be substantially different and the same approach may not work - but its worth looking at to see if we can help. Some of us have posted our fixes here on SBO and we can point you to it if it will help.

Nov 7, 2018
David and Fox, Many thanks for this input. I've put in my order for the VDO Multifunction Display with the new service person at my dealer - my previous contact has just taken a job with a dealer in Miami.
I looked at the videos to replace the hour display and they are very detailed and informative - it does look doable. Just need to know where to get the display. I had asked a general marine store in the fall and they said all they could get was the whole panel. Maybe a Yanmar dealer would have an idea where to get just the hour display. I have a 3YM30 and I don't have any pictures of the engine instrument panel, but here is a spec sheet for the panel that the marine store forwarded to me.

Any help in sourcing a new hour display would be welcome.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edubb

Feb 25, 2023
Jeanneau 45 Cabrillo Way Marina
There is an excellent company that makes custom panels utilizing VDO products,. I have been to his shop personally, impressive work with quick turnarounds. He provides solutions to all sorts of issues like you are facing. Speak to Ramsey, they are based in Torrance, California. Here’s the link: AC/DC Marine

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
At one time the Hobbs Meter was the standard for keeping a log of engine time.

They were electromechanical, starting to record when you turned the switch to on. Rugged. Non-resettable.
If the engine was running the clock was ticking.

72EEFA06-4604-405B-894C-7DD9509A0313.jpeg

They have been replaced by new electronics as in the VDO. The electronics seem vulnerable. You can’t tell the engine hour status without turning on the electrical systems. The screens burn out by constant UV exposure.

For the task of logging engine hours, I favor the old school approach.

Nov 7, 2018
Thank you for all the links and contacts. I'm in the process of reviewing them all.
The engine instrument panel is on the outside of the lazarette so if I go the route of adding a new hours run meter (such as the Hobbs) I can easily install it in the lazarette, saving having to make a hole and seal it. This would also be a good place if a choose a new screen because it appears that the UV is the likely cause of the failure and my present engine instrument panel doesn't have a cover.
David, the picture of your instrument panel is not the same as mine. Mine has the tacho on the left, but the dial has a smaller run hours screen and no warning lights. I have four warning lights on the top of the right side of the panel, then there is the "Stop" button (that is the only button the the panel) and finally on the bottom is the key for "OFF", "ON" and "START". I see you don't have a key and that's good because my key has nothing holding it in place in the "OFF" position, it just sits in the key slot. So when I'm sailing and the engine is off (I keep the key in the ignition in case I need to turn the engine on in a hurry) the key can fall out onto the deck, particularly on a heel, and then it can roll down to the swim deck and then AWL into the water. I put in a hook and attach the key ring to the hook, but it's a bit primative.
One of the videos shows how to clean the screen contacts which sometimes cause problems, so this may be what I should tackle first.

May 17, 2004
I see you don't have a key and that's good because my key has nothing holding it in place in the "OFF" position, it just sits in the key slot. So when I'm sailing and the engine is off (I keep the key in the ignition in case I need to turn the engine on in a hurry) the key can fall out onto the deck, particularly on a heel, and then it can roll down to the swim deck and then AWL into the water. I put in a hook and attach the key ring to the hook, but it's a bit primative.
Correct, no key on ours. We were worried about other things bouncing out under the helm seat, so we had a removable piece of starboard added there. A track was installed on each side of that opening and the starboard slides down from the top when the seat is up. We keep that in basically all season and it’s deprived Neptune of a few donations.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
David and Fox, Many thanks for this input. I've put in my order for the VDO Multifunction Display with the new service person at my dealer - my previous contact has just taken a job with a dealer in Miami.
I looked at the videos to replace the hour display and they are very detailed and informative - it does look doable. Just need to know where to get the display. I had asked a general marine store in the fall and they said all they could get was the whole panel. Maybe a Yanmar dealer would have an idea where to get just the hour display. I have a 3YM30 and I don't have any pictures of the engine instrument panel, but here is a spec sheet for the panel that the marine store forwarded to me.

Any help in sourcing a new hour display would be welcome.
Yeah no one will carry this part that has anything to do with selling the tachs - its a level of maintenance they don't do. Easier just to sell you a new tach. Not hating on them, that's just what the manufacturer does and they follow.

You want this:

Amazon.com: New Gauge LCD Display Replacement for VDO Gauge Tachometer Speedometer Volvo Penta Boat Kenworth Truck JCB Tractor : Automotive

The Amazon item is now out of stock, but I've had luck on EBay for less than $20:

LCD Screen for Kenworth trucks/VDO cockpit vision/Jcb tractor/Volvo penta boats | eBay

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Many thanks for this. $20 is a lot more reasonable than $450 to get it fixed!
Its so cheap if you buy the wrong one just throw it away and order a different one. My replacement had been working for 4 seasons before I sold the boat. Honestly, its the kind of simple electronics work that almost no one is doing anymore. A competent guy doing it can probably charge $75-$100 plus shipping to do it for you, parts and labor, and make a nice profit for what is 15 minutes of work if you do it frequently.

zrod

Apr 2, 2011
Beneteau 43.3 Beirut
The Beneteau spare parts site does list that insert and has it available, part number 156278 for $530. You might be able to just ask your dealer for that part. Ultimately they’ll be the one fulfilling the order anyway. If they’re not responsive to a parts request you could check another dealer too.

We had ours replaced in 2018 after a nearby lightning strike. Our yard charged $575 for the part and $198 for the labor. Not sure where they sourced the part.

The water level sensors do work differently than the fuel sensor. The water sensors are digital, providing a stepped voltage back to the panel based on how many sensors are submerged. The fuel sensor is just a variable resistor modulated by the float. In my experience they are both ok for getting a qualitative sense for how much liquid remains, but are not precise to a specific number of gallons. For fuel we basically ignore it and just count engine hours, with a constant burn of 0.7 gallons per hour for our 37 with 3YM30, usually cruising at 2800 RPMs.

This is the picture of the part on the Beneteau site -

View attachment 213230
Hi,
I just bought this unit after a lightning problem,
However it have 2 sets of dip switches on the back, that allow you to configure the type and presence of water tanks.
Do you have the manual by chance

Thank you in advance

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Hi,
I just bought this unit after a lightning problem,
However it have 2 sets of dip switches on the back, that allow you to configure the type and presence of water tanks.
Do you have the manual by chance

Thank you in advance
Mine also has dipswitches, but I don’t remember how they’re set. I’ll check later today and report back.

I just uploaded the manual as https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/sailboat__93206456.pdf but it doesn’t say anything about dipswitches.

Nov 7, 2018
I received my unit (which is a replacement unit for the original Siemens unit) from Beneteau Spare Parts in Marion and there were no instructions or set-up procedure. Mine looks identical to yours and the two rows of eight micro-switches are the only difference I can see from the original Siemens unit. I called Beneteau Spare Parts and found them as always very helpful. They don't have any instructions for the unit, but said that they thought there was no set-up necessary, so leave all the switches as they are shipped (which was in the off position). After my call with him, he forwarded the manual that David has already uploaded, which is for the Siemens unit and doesn't have the switches.

Anyway after the call I installed the unit and turned on the power and it works fine and worked identically to my original unit, which I think is the answer to your question. But we still don't know what the switches do and if they help calibrate some of the readings. I was on a 2014 Beneteau Oceanis 38 today and it looks as if it has the same unit, in the same electrical distribution panel.

But I did have quite a saga getting to that point! I was having a lot of difficulty with my dealer (who I haven't named up to now) getting the part, but they realized that they had a problem adapting to the new ordering process with Beneteau Spare Parts and have hired a new parts manager which should resolve the previous problems and slow response they were having. I can now recommend Anchor Yacht Sales of Mississauga on Lake Ontario for spare parts.

Above I said the unit worked well when powered up, but when I first powered it up there was nothing on the screen. I called Beneteau Spare Parts and they suggested I check there was power to the board. Using the manual I was able to identify the power pins on the connecting plug and found there was no voltage, and no voltage on the power distribution board. I then found a small 1 Amp fuse close to that connector on the distribution board and it had blown! I replaced the fuse and I had power to the new monitoring display and it was working. I then plugged in the old unit and it was working fine also! I need to have only replaced a fuse and not the monitoring panel!

So lessons learnt.

I have RayMarine instruments and I had a good, certified RayMarine tech in to do a number of upgrades and repairs. He had set up a new Sea Talk Network for my new VHF to connect to the GPS and repaired the autopilot that would occassionally lock in the engaged position and wouldn't disengage. All my navigation instruments are strangely powered on the main internal cabin lights circuit. This was not a problem as they can all be individually turned off at each individual screen, except the GPS which is on whenever the main cabin light switch is on and there is no way of turning it off. So I had the tech look for a solution to be able to turn it off which was when he had the main power distribution panel down. It was after this that the monitor display stopped working, so I called him back to have a look. I didn't have a manual for the display at that time and he looked to see if there was power to the board and found 12 volts so assumed there was power to the board, but this must have been the 12v monitor sensors from the motor and house batteries. Without that confusion we probably would have found the blown 1 Amp fuse.
So if the monitor display is not working check there is 12 Volts between pins 1 and 2 on the three pin connector. If there is no voltage check the 1 Amp fuse on the main electrical distribution panel close to this connector.

The main thing was that I had the monitor display working in time for launch on 27 April.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great writeup @Brians Mast :beer:

Detailed diagnostic approach and clarity in the discovery process. Love it. Sometimes a simple fuse is the fly in the ointment.