VARNISH OR LACQUER

Apr 19, 2021
Beneteau 473 Chesapeake Bay
I need to refinish the cockpit table in our Beneteau 473. Is the finish a varnish or lacquer?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
none of the above...
Its some formulation that Beneteau used that is tinted and did not adhere to the surface of the wood panel.
It peels off like a plastic coating of some kind.
There are numerous posts about this, and some include the actual formulation.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Our son had the same boat once - it was polyurethane
I can tell you ,I mixed polyurethane with minwax old english chesnut and was able to exact match the interior finish it looks factory. The face board at my nav desk in picture was made from solid maple and that mixture applied

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I need to refinish the cockpit table in our Beneteau 473. Is the finish a varnish or lacquer?
I refinished the stairway / ladder with Minwax helmsman spray polyurethane.
Mixed old english chestnut and sadonna red stains to get a nice color. Applied several coats of spray poly with very light sanding between coats. Buffed out with aqua buff 2000 compound and J &J wax and obtained nice results. I coated the bottom stair step with lacquer and was not satisfied, at all! It has worn prematurely and I have to go back and redo it with poly. Polyurethane is more suitable for table top coating, especially if it gets a lot of use.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
From the OP (who sadly hasn’t been back since the original post):
the cockpit table
Sounds to me like that would be different from the interior wood that most of the replies are about.

I’m guessing there’s a variety of materials and finishes used for exterior wood, either originally or by previous owners. So I doubt there’s a one size fits all answer to that question.