Varnish on the gelcoat

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Koenig

I have recently purchased a 1983 30' Catalina that is in good shape except that there are small spots of varnish or Sickins on the gelcoat from a previous owners attempt to refinish the brightwork. I tried mineral spirits but it didn't touch them. Is there something else I can use that will remove the spots but wont hurt the gelcoat?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Try Acetone.

Just apply it to a rag and then rub the area. May take a couple of times to soften it up. You may also try scrubbing with a medium stiff bristle brush with the acetone too.

R

Rob

Be careful!!!

Acetone is a great solvent for polyesters - which is what gelcoat is. It is very easy to denature the gelcoat around the area you're trying to fix and make it look even worse.

G

GERRY HULL

Varnish removel from gel coat

EASY OFF oven cleaner ! Works great. Test an area first. Since it sprays, squirt it into sonething else first then put it on the varnish with a q tip or small brush. I just took off a 6"high ten letter name from a Boston Whaler with the stuff. Less than 30 minutes for both sides. Great for changing boat names on the transom. Very cheap too ! Make sure the boat was NOT previously painted !

J

Jim Ewing

What I did...

I had the same problem but couldn't blame the previous owner... I used 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and very lightly took off the bulk of the drip. I then finished with 1000 grit wet/dry. I polished over (Poly-Glow) the repair and it's invisible. Just keep running ahose over the area while you're sanding. Jim "Prospect"

W

Warren Tan

Acetone

Use acetone but be very careful with it. Do not pour acetone directly on the fiberglass. Instead, pour it on the rug that you will be using to wipe it with. Rinse with water and wax afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.