Variable Water Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad Dennis

Replaced my fresh water pump with a 4.5gpm variable pressure pump but original problem continues. Water pressure does not build up to the level it once had with the 2.5 pump, it speeds up and slows down and generally acts like it has air in the system. Water also goes from hot to cold and back while taking a shower. No noticible leaks are discerned anywhere in the system (except high up in the water tank which ends after the ater leaks out to a point below the location of the crack :)). I have removed, replaced, and reset the accumulator tank (although one is not really needed now). Have also, removed and replaced the in line filter, no difference in or out, other than the water tasting better with it in due to one's imagination of all the stuff not being filtered :). All clamps are tight, water level (even below the slight crack) is well over 2/3rds full and problem exists in all outlets. Anyway, it is frustrating not being able to locate what acts like an air leak but shows no signs of water leaking out anywhere. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brad

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

How big is your boat???

'Cuz a 4.5 gpm pump is bigger than the water pumps used on most 60-70' houseboats! My own, on a 32' boat (water tank and pump aft, galley and head foward) was only 2.8 gpm...and it produced considerably more water pressure than the 20 yr old 3.0 (which Shurflo no longer makes) it replaced did. If all you did was replace the pump, I suspect your problems are caused by too much water pressure, especially if the pump is a variable pressure model...it's goin' nuts trying to sense the right amount of pressure and cutting back too much because it's sensing too much backpressure. I don't suppose you read the specs to determine the right size pump for your boat before you bought it?

R

Ron Mills

Brad, I installed a 4.5gpm variable speed

water pump on my H34. Life has never been better. My previous system had an accumulator tank on it that was a constant source(in my opinion) of pump cycling. If I were you, I would immediately remove the accumulator tank and use for flowers. With the variable speed you may be causing problems because of the accumulator tank. I can say without reservation that for the first time in 12 years I have plenty of pressure, no cycling, no problems, no runs, no drips, and finally no errors.

M

Mark MIllham

What about the crack??

If you think it's an air leak, and I tend to agree with you, why have you ruled out the crack in the water heater. If water can get out, air can get in, right?

B

Brad Dennis

Crack is not the problem,

as it is far above the outflow line. For air to get in my line from the crack in the tank, it would have to make its way through 50 gallons of water before reaching the outflow line.

B

Brad Dennis

Sorry, Peg, on this one, I disagree

If the pressure ever got up to full pressure and then dropped, I might buy your reasoning. But since there is hardly any pressure to begin with, the cut back reduces it to none or a trickle. Also, if your logic were true, I would get an initial blast of water, which does not happen. True, I did not read the specs on pump size for my boat, however, all a 4.5 will do is push more water in less time. Once the lines are filled up, a pump has no idea where the water is going, only that it needs to replace what was there. Consequently, my pump (as the old one did), doesn't even start to notice I am asking it to send the water. I liked the reply with regards to removing the accumulator - that will be my next step. Thanks for your input though and even if I don't read specs, I do read and have reserved my copy of your new book on Amazon. Take care, Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.