V berth leak from electric windlass

Feb 23, 2024
hunter 36 36 Forked River NJ
Could leak in v berth be caused by worn seal on electric windlass. Bad design. water rolls back towards windlass instead of into anchor well.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you are referring to the seal between the windlass and the deck, most certainly. All deck hardware, including windlasses, needs to be rebedded periodically. It's a pretty simple task, remove the windlass, clean up the old caulk and reinstall with new caulking like 4200.

Oct 24, 2015
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
I am just overhauling my windlass on our Legend 356. It has a Sprint Atlantic make, and the top seal & bearing had failed allowing water to pass straight through it.

I don’t think the design is very good as there is a “trough” around the daisy wheel with only one outlet. I have modified it by drilling two other holes as outlets through the wall of the “dam”.

There was quite a lot of corrosion on the gearbox body so I have bead blasted it to remove any corrosion.

The windlass is quite straight forward to dismantle and a kit of parts is available from
SL Spares
0141 887 4122

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
The Up/Down Push Buttons could also leak water if bedding is bad.

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
I have just finished overhauling my windlass.
There is a seal just below the Daisy wheel which was worn, underneath that a sealed bearing that had completely disintegrated due to rusting away, allowing water to pass through the windlass. The other point to note is that with the top bearing failed the shaft load is being transmitted to the gearbox which is not designed to take that kind of load. I would thing that the gearbox housing could fail if this situation was allowed to continue.